Transforming Health Care With Machine Learning
Machine Learning algorithms can process vast amounts of information and spot patterns, hallmarks of diagnosing patients and identifying risk factors.
Tepper School faculty are using machine learning methods to develop early diagnostic tools for cancer, Alzheimer's disease, and cardiac disease; treat sleep apnea; estimate surgery duration; and connect health care providers and patients using digital platforms.
Zachary Lipton, Assistant Professor of Business Technologies
- Learning to Diagnose with Neural Networks: Applies modern artificial neural networks to model complex clinical data and mine patterns to identify diagnoses.
- Machine Learning for Health Care: Modeling missing data, predicting surgery duration, recognizing stages of embryo development, estimating treatment effects, deep learning for clinical natural language processing.
- Abridge AI, a UPMC spinoff, in a grant through the Center for Machine Learning and Health: Mitigating the cost of documentation by automatically drafting clinical notes.
- approximatelycorrect.com, founded by Lipton: Exploring the challenges that are critical to the real-world use of machine learning. Recently awarded a grant from AI Ethics and Governance Fund.
Benjamin Moseley, Assistant Professor of Operations Research, Carnegie Bosch Junior Faculty Chair
- Scheduling theory, distributed computing, and the theoretical foundations of machine learning.
- Developing a theoretical basis for testing properties of substances, such as drugs. Improving the state of the art for discovering new drugs in practice. Applying machine learning to create better methods for the laborious and expensive process of drug discovery.
Andrew Li, Assistant Professor of Operations Research
- Personalized medicine: Applies optimization, statistics, and machine learning tools to developing diagnostic and predictive tests for early-stage cancer, Alzheimer's, and cardiac disease.
- 47-841 Applications of High-Dimensional Statistics
Tim Derdenger, Associate Professor of Marketing and Strategy
- Internet of Things and Artificial Intelligence Platforms: Development and scaling of new digital platforms through strategic sales arrangements.
- Executive Education custom programs with health care firms.
Will Kaigler, Assistant Teaching Professor of Entrepreneurship
- Obstructive Sleep Apnea: Use of machine learning and computer vision in treating obstructive sleep apnea.
- medSage Technologies LLC (2002): Sold to Philips Electronics in 2010.
- NewCare Solutions LLC (2011).
- 45-906 The Business of Health Care Innovation
- Executive Education: Innovation in Health Care
- Curavi Health
- Apollo Neuro
- Root Health