INTERSECT@CMU: The Future of Business, Technology, and Society
Part of the two-day celebration of the opening of the Tepper Quad, the inaugural INTERSECT@CMU conference was held Sept. 14. Bringing together industry leaders, innovators, and Carnegie Mellon professors and researchers, the conference revolved around the intersections of business and technology in society today.
Panels, Keynote, and Opening Remarks
Opening Remarks by President Farnam Jahanian, Carnegie Mellon University
Opening Remarks by Dean Bob Dammon, Tepper School of Business
Keynote: Jerome Pesenti, VP of AI at Facebook, Inc.
Panel: At the Intersection of Technology and Business: Smart Home, Smart Car, Smart City
Panel: Designing Intelligence: Shaping AI and Society
Panel: Decentralizing Trust: Blockchain's Radical Potential
Poets&Quants at INTERSECT@CMU
During breaks and lunch, John Byrne, CEO and Editor-in-Chief of Poets&Quants, went behind the scene with panelists, Carnegie Mellon leaders and faculty, and students.
Conversations: First Break
- Nick Muller, Associate Professor of Economics, Engineering, and Public Policy; Lester and Judith Lave Development Chair in Economics, Engineering, and Public Policy, Tepper School
- Raj Rajkumar, George Westinghouse Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Heinz College
- Homaira Akbari, President and CEO of AKnowledge Partners
- Sevin Yeltekin, Professor of Economics, Senior Associate Dean of Education, Tepper School
Conversations: Lunch Break
- Sridhar Tayur, Ford Distinguished Research Chair, Professor of Operations Management, Tepper School
- Rebecca Doerge, Dean, Mellon College of Science
- Leanne Meyer, Executive Director and Leadership Coach, Tepper School
- Jim Garrett, Dean, College of Engineering
- Dave Mawhinney, Associate Teaching Professor of Entrepreneurship, Executive Director of the Swartz Center for Entrepreneurship, joined by Xunjie Zhang of Nimbus and second-year MBA Sam Blake
- Second-year MBAs Victoria Lopez, Ben Strickhouser, and Brandon Leung; first-year MBAs Annie and Bill Henderson; second-year MBAs Andrea Caralis, Matt Romeike, and Katie Glass; first-year MBAs: Ever Hernandez, Natalie Gerber, and Asha Banks
Conversations: Second Break
- Michael Trick, Harry B. and James H. Higgins Professor of Operations Research, Dean of Carnegie Mellon University Qatar, and Laurie Weingart, Richard M. and Margaret S. Cyert Professor of Organizational Behavior and Theory
- Anita Williams Woolley, Associate Professor of Organizational Behavior and Theory, Tepper School
- Param Vir Singh, Carnegie Bosch Associate Professor of Business Technologies, Tepper School, and Liliana Reasor, CEO, Suprafin
- Laurence Ales, Associate Professor of Economics, Tepper School
- Robert Dammon, Dean, Tepper School
INTERSECT@CMU in the News
Pittsburgh Business Times
Pennsylvania Business Report
The Tepper School: Our Possibilities are Boundless
Since our founding we have welcomed the opportunity to be on the edge, working on discoveries, problems, and ideas beyond the time.
The INTERSECT@CMU conference is the embodiment of the innovative, collaborative spirit and culture at Carnegie Mellon University and the Tepper School of Business. We are problem solvers, interested in finding solutions to the world's most challenging problems.