2019 Keynote: Building Health Into Society’s OS
Chief Technology and Strategy Officer, Robert Wood Johnson Foundation
Steve Downs is Chief Technology and Strategy Officer at the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, the nation’s largest philanthropy dedicated solely to health. Since 1972, the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation has supported research and programs targeting some of America’s most pressing health issues—from substance abuse to improving access to quality health care.
Steve’s remarks explore how emerging technologies, among other factors, will help us to reengineer a culture of health.
Panel One: Artificial Intelligence and Health Care
How can AI impact the development, delivery, and experience of health care?
- Chris Johnson, President, Teletracking Inc.
- Paul Nielsen, VP Strategic Programs; President UHG Academy of Technology; Dean, Optum College of AI
- Shivdev Rao, CEO, Co-Founder / Abridge.ai
- Roni Rosenfeld, Professor and Head, Machine Learning Department, School of Computer Science, Carnegie Mellon University
Madhu Pawar, MBA (HNZ 2005), Global Managing Director, Sales Analytics and Solutions, Google
Panel Two: Science or Science Fiction
What will the future of medicine and health look like and how will both science and the arts help to shape that future?
- Keith Elliot Cook, Professor and Associate Department Head for Graduate Education, CMU BME
- Jeanne Cunicelli, Executive Vice President, UPMC Enterprises
- Steve Downs, Chief Technology and Strategy Officer, Robert Wood Johnson Foundation
- Barbara Shinn-Cunningham, Director, Carnegie Mellon Neuroscience Institute; Professor, Center for the Neural Basis of Cognition, Biomedical Engineering, Psychology, and Electrical & Computer Engineering
Kristen Kurland, Teaching Professor, Carnegie Mellon University
Panel Three: The $3.68 Trillion Question
How do we tackle the issues related to the costs, pricing, and policy design of wellness and health care?
- Amelia Haviland, Associate Professor Of Statistics And Health Policy; Director, AI & Analytics for Good Initiative, Block Center for Technology and Society
- Rumi Naik, AVP R&D Scientific & Digital Innovation, Sanofi Pasteur
- Thomas Pellathy, Executive Vice President, Product and Healthcare Services, Highmark Inc.
- Sridhar Tayur, Ford Distinguished Research Chair; University Professor of Operations Management
Martin Gaynor, EJ Barone University Professor of Economics and Public Policy, Heinz College, Carnegie Mellon University