We seek individuals who seek to make an impact via a rigorous, collaborative, high-performance research environment.
For general admissions queries for the doctoral program, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Tepper School of Business Doctoral program has a self-managed online application procedure. Applicants are fully responsible for completing and submitting their applications on time.
All parts of the application form must be filled out completely.
Please note: the application web site is only open between September 15 and the following January 15, which is the deadline for all application materials.
One transcript is required from each college or university attended, at both the undergraduate and graduate levels, whether or not the applicant earned a degree.
For the application process, we only require scanned copies of transcripts, uploaded to your online application.
If you receive an offer of admission, you will then be asked to provide official transcripts. In all cases, the transcripts must be sealed and signed across the seal by the corresponding registrar's office, and the applicant must forward them, with the rest of the completed application materials, to the Tepper School of Business Doctoral Program office.
A minimum of three Tepper School of Business evaluation forms must be completed by individuals who are able to provide specific and relevant information about their intellectual ability, performance, maturity and motivation (maximum number of evaluations is five).
- Applicants who are currently students or who are recent graduates should submit at least one evaluation from an academic source.
- Those who have completed more than one year of full-time work should submit at least one evaluation from a supervisor.
- Recommendations from friends, family members, acquaintances and other sources not able to evaluate applicants on an academic or professional basis are unacceptable and will not be reviewed.
Evaluation forms and/or recommendation letters can be submitted in the following ways:
- Electronic Evaluation — Evaluators may use the electronic system to provide an evaluation. Once you input all required information for each of your evaluators, they will receive an email link with instructions on how to submit an evaluation on your behalf.
- Paper Evaluation Forms — If preferred, evaluators may complete and submit a downloadable evaluation form (pdf) by mail. The applicant should complete and sign the first page, then forward the forms to the evaluators for completion. Evaluators can also use the Tepper School form (paper or electronic) or submit a letter on their institution's letterhead.
Evaluators may send completed paper submission forms to:
Doctoral Program Admissions
Tepper School of Business
4765 Forbes Avenue
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA 15213-3890
They may also return the form and/or letter to you in a sealed envelope, which you can then forward to us at the above address, along with your other application documents (transcripts, etc.).
GMAT & GRE Test Results
The Graduate Management Admissions Test (GMAT) or Graduate Record Examination (GRE) is required of all applicants. We do not waive this requirement for any reason. Test scores must be forwarded directly to the Tepper School of Business at Carnegie Mellon by Educational Testing Service (ETS). The Tepper School's institutional code is 2074.
If you took the test more than five years ago, you must take it again. To register for the GRE, you will need the GRE Department Code corresponding to your intended field of study. If you cannot find a department code corresponding to your intended field of study, please use 4399.
**To have your GRE test scores sent to the Tepper School Ph.D. program, you should use institutional code 2074; the institutional code 4883 is only for the Tepper School's Masters program.
TOEFL Test Results
The Tepper School of Business Ph.D. program now requires the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) for ALL applicants whose native language is not English. This includes applicants who have completed degree programs in countries whose primary language is English, including the United States. If your native language is not English, we will ask for valid TOEFL scores.
Applicants should take TOEFL no later than January for August admission in a given year.
All scores must be forwarded to the Tepper School of Business by ETS.
When registering for TOEFL, applicants must use institutional code 2074. You will also need a TOEFL departmental code corresponding to your intended field of study. If you cannot find a department code corresponding to your intended field of study, please use 02 or 99. (Any questions for ETS about TOEFL should be directed to TOEFL/TSE Services, P.O. Box 6151, Princeton, NJ 08541-6151, USA).
Submitting Your Application
The preferred method for Ph.D. program applications is via the Online Application process.
The Tepper School of Business Ph.D. application deadline is January 15, 2019. For Fall 2019 intake, we began accepting applications on September 15, 2018.
We recommend that you keep copies of all materials you submit for the duration of the application process. If you have any questions about this procedure, we would be pleased to answer them for you. The Tepper School of Business Ph.D. Office is open Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. ET. Email the Tepper School Ph.D. Program.
Remember: No decision will be made until after the January 15 deadline, and until all of the items listed below are received. The committee's decisions are posted on the application website by April 15.
Online Applications with all sections completed must include:
- Official transcripts of all academic work
- Evidence of degree (often, this is posted directly on the transcript)
- Three letters of recommendation (a maximum of five is permitted)
- GMAT or GRE scores from ETS (Educational Testing Service)
- Application fee of $70.00
- TOEFL score from ETS (for students whose native language is not English)
Transcripts and letters of recommendation can be uploaded in the online application system. No materials need to be mailed to the Ph.D. Program for the review process. If you are offered admission, you will need to have official transcripts sent to us if and when you accept the admission offer.