Carnegie Mellon is a global research university recognized for academic excellence, groundbreaking research and interdisciplinary collaboration. Human Resources supports the university's efforts to attract, develop and retain a world-class, diverse workforce. Recognizing that each employee plays an important role in advancing Carnegie Mellon’s success, Human Resources also provides a variety of high-quality programs and services that help employees thrive. Our website provides information about these programs and services, as well as Carnegie Mellon’s benefits programs. If you have any questions, please contact us.
What's Happening in Human Resources
Global Accessibility Awareness Day: May 19, 2016
Join Human Resources and thousands around the world on Thursday, May 19th for Global Accessibility Awareness Day (GAAD). We encourage you to participate in the day by attending an in-person or virtual event, learning about accessibility, experiencing accessibility first-hand, and reading about the CMU's research in accessibility. Visit the Global Accessibility Awareness Day website for more information.
Upcoming Retirement Workshops
TIAA Retirement Planning Workshops - May 23, 2016, Connan Room, Cohon University Center. Advanced registration is preferred but not required; use the links in each Workshop description to register.
- The Starting Line: How and Why Retirement Savings Should Begin Now: 10 - 11 a.m. Get ahead of your retirement saving with some tools and information you can use right now. Learn the real effect of time on money thanks to compounding and dollar-cost averaging, discover the difference between good and bad debt, and see how budgeting can find money and help you save it. Register for the Workshop.
- Tomorrow in Focus: Saving for Your Ideal Retirement: 12 - 1 p.m. Join us for an interactive exploration of retirement saving and learn how to help create an effective plan to help maximize your retirement potential. Learn the essential features of retirement investments and gain the confidence you need to create or modify your own retirement plan. Register for the Workshop.
Template Offer Letters Updated
We have updated the Offer Letter Templates to provide information updated Additional Terms and Conditions of Employment. Please use the new Offer Letter Templates going forward when preparing to make an offer to employees. Learn more about Extending an Offer and the template letters (CMU Password Required).
Military Leave Policy
The University strongly supports its employees as they perform their obligations to serve in America’s armed forces, and recognizes and values the contributions that they make to the United States in this capacity. Accordingly, the University is pleased to announce the adoption of a new policy that will benefit reservists in the U.S. military (including the National Guard) who receive orders to report for duty (for annual active-duty training or for an extended period of activation). Such reservists will be granted military leave by the University as described in the newly enacted policy. Certain aspects of the policy will be implemented effective October 1, 2015 while other benefits will take effect by January 1, 2016. Some of the highlights of the new policy, which will be effective October 1, 2015, are as follows:
- The University will pay the staff member’s regular rate of University pay for the first 11 days of military leave (prorated for part-time staff) that run concurrent with the staff member’s regular workdays. Provided, however, the maximum number of days of military leave paid at the regular rate shall not exceed 11 days per year (prorated for part-time staff). Service pay may be retained.
- For periods of activation longer than 11 days of regular workdays but less than 6 calendar months, the University will pay the difference, if any, between your regular University pay rate and the sum of your military basic pay, housing allowance, and subsistence allowance. At the conclusion of the 6 months, the University pay differential will cease. Provided, however, the annual maximum period of military leave paid at the differential rate shall not exceed 6 months.
If you are a reservist who may benefit from this Policy, please contact Jan Provenzano, Leaves Manager, for additional details.
Family & Child Care Resources Available
We are pleased to announce a new resource for CMU families. Our Family & Child Care Resources page provides information and resources helpful to parents, families, and children of all ages. Included on the site:
- Directories of child care providers in the area
- Tips for selecting quality child care
- Links to CMU-related medical programs and area medical resources
- Links to regional family activities
- Parenting resources
- A directory of educational and athletic programs and camps in the region - including many with CMU affiliations
Learn more about Family & Child Care Resources.