Temporary Employment Service for Hiring Managers
Temporary Employment Service (TES) is your internal source for temporary staffing across the Carnegie Mellon University community. TES is a collaborative partner with hiring managers in need of temporary office support. We are a recognized resource with a passion for providing excellent customer service and value to your organization by providing talented, fully screened temporary staff in a cost effective manner. Working with TES provides you the added benefit of being able to assess a candidate's abilities while conducting a competitive search for a regular position within your organization.
Common requests for support include position vacancies, leaves of absence, peak rush periods or special events and cyclical project work. TES employees have demonstrated experience in administrative support, event planning, finance and accounting, multi-media technology and design as well as research assistance.
Make a Request with TES
- Complete and submit the TES Staffing Request Form to begin the process.
- A member of the TES team will contact you to confirm the request and provide timelines. It is important for us to establish a clear understanding of the request and the skills needed to meet your needs. Pay and bill rate will also be discussed at this time.
- TES will create the position in your supervisory organization in Workday.
Select Your Candidate and Extend Offer
- TES staff continually source candidates who demonstrate proficient administrative abilities with excellent communication and technical skills. These candidates have completed skills assessments with us, and employment references have been conducted. Background checks including criminal history, employment and education verification have been completed. Upon receiving a request for temporary support, TES reviews its pool of employees to determine availability and fit for the request.
- Candidate résumés will be shared with you for review.
- TES will coordinate a phone or in-person interview for you with the candidate(s) you wish to meet with.
- Once you have selected a candidate for your position, TES will extend the offer to the candidate. A start date will be determined based on completion of the hiring process noted above if the candidate is not already an employee of TES.
- TES employees will complete required onboarding tasks in Workday prior to starting the assignment. An Andrew ID will be assigned and they will complete their Form I-9.
- TES staff members also provide a brief orientation where valuable university resources are shared and discussed with the employee. This includes information regarding the CMU Staff Handbook, Parking Services, ID Card Services, benefits and time entry instructions in Workday. A department-specific orientation is recommended when the employee arrives on the first day.
- After the start date has been determined, TES will send you a placement confirmation email with relevant placement details and instructions to hire the employee into the position that was created in Workday.
Supervisor's Role and Getting the Most from Your TES Experience
- Encourage welcoming by all team members and have dedicated space and resources ready for your TES employee upon arrival.
- Establish a work schedule and lunch breaks for your TES employee.
- Designate a supervisor or department staff member as the employee’s key contact to oversee their work. Schedule regular follow-up meetings with the employee to review performance, answer questions, provide direction and ensure expectations are being met regarding the specific assignment with you.
- TES employees are not permitted to work from home.
- Offer department-specific training and development opportunities that may result in the employee becoming a permanent contributor in your department.
- TES employees are responsible for submitting time worked according to established biweekly payroll deadlines. Please review and approve time submissions according to those deadlines.
- Contact TES immediately if you need to make changes to the assignment responsibilities or schedule as this may affect the employee’s benefit status.
- Contact TES regarding any employment issues that may arise.
Ending the Temporary Assignment
TES employees may remain on assignment as long as needed; however, TES will monitor the assignment periodically for updates regarding expected length so we might plan for subsequent opportunities for the employee.
At the conclusion of the assignment, TES will close the position in Workday after the final pay has been processed.
Transitioning a TES Employee to a Regular Position in Your Organization
TES employees are often hired into regular full- or part-time positions at the university after demonstrating their skills and abilities as a valuable member of a team. TES allows for transition into a position that has been posted and competitive search conducted without time limitation or additional fees.
The bill rate for a TES employee includes the employee's hourly rate of pay which is confirmed with you, the applicable fringe benefit rate and TES overhead rate of 21.5%.* These charges are billed automatically to the department Oracle string entered in Workday.
*External temporary staffing vendors commonly charge 40–60% overhead rate with additional conversion fees should you want to hire their employee into a regular position with your department.