Carnegie Mellon University

Marital or Partnership Status Change

When your marital status changes, either through marriage/domestic partnership or divorce/dissolution of domestic partnership, there are steps you must take to update your health and welfare benefits, legal name, filing status, and other services and benefits. In some cases, these steps need to be taken within 30 days of the date of the status change.

The Employee Assistance Program provides CMU employees and their household members with resources to assist with the emotional, financial and legal issues related to marriage/partnership and divorce or separation.

You may want to create or update your will when your marital status changes. Employees who are enrolled in the Optional Life and AD&D Insurance Plan can receive assistance through the provider's Will Preparation Service [pdf].