Marital or Partnership Status Change
When your marital status changes, either through marriage/domestic partnership or divorce/dissolution of domestic partnership, there are steps you must take to update your health and welfare benefits, legal name, filing status, and other services and benefits. In some cases, these steps need to be taken within 30 days of the date of the status change.
- If your new spouse will be added to your benefits coverage, you have 30 days from the date of your marriage to enroll them. See Benefits for Dependents to learn more about the benefits your spouse is eligible for. You have 30 days from the date of enrollment to provide the required documentation (marriage certificate).
- Same- and opposite-sex domestic partners of employees who meet certain eligibility criteria may be added to your benefits coverage. For eligibility criteria, registration instructions, and to learn more about the benefits your partner is eligible for, see the Domestic Partners section of Benefits for Dependents.
- If you are divorcing or terminating a domestic partnership, you have 30 days from the date of the divorce or termination to remove your former spouse/partner from your coverage. You have 30 days from the date of enrollment to provide the required documentation.
- The Domestic Partner Registration Packet [pdf] contains the document(s) required to terminate a partnership.
- See Life and Family Status Changes for more information on qualifying life changes and how to update your benefits in Workday.