As you prepare to retire from the university, there are steps you should take to ensure you receive all the benefits you are entitled to in your retirement. The Office of Human Resources and our retirement plan vendors provide resources to help you through the process.
Preparing for Retirement
- Three to Six Months Prior to Retirement:
- Obtain an estimate of your retirement income benefit from the Social Security Administration.
- Discuss your retirement date with your department.
- Two to Three Months Prior to Retirement:
- Review your retirement savings account balances and investments.
- Schedule an appointment to meet with a TIAA and/or Vanguard counselor to review retirement benefits and distribution options. Information on one-on-one counseling sessions can be found at Retirement Education.
- If you are eligible, contact the Social Security Administration to calculate and/or start your monthly Social Security retirement income benefit and to enroll in Medicare Parts A and B.
- Schedule an appointment with the CMU Benefits Office to discuss the retiree medical options available through the university and obtain any enrollment forms necessary to enroll in coverage through the university.
- One Month Prior to Retirement:
- Re-confirm your retirement date with your department. Submit an official resignation letter to your manager if you have not already done so.
- If you choose to enroll in a medical plan through the university, submit the required forms to the Office of Human Resources.
- Contact TIAA and/or Vanguard (as applicable) to initiate any type of distributions.
Your Last Day
- If you would like to obtain a Retiree ID Card, visit ID Card Services.
- If you have questions about your final paycheck or payment of accrued PTO, contact the HR Service Center.
- If you have questions about your retirement savings distributions, contact TIAA and/or Vanguard (as applicable) directly.
- If you move or relocate, please notify the following parties to ensure any tax documents, plan notices and open enrollment materials are directed to your new address:
- HR Service Center for tax documents
- CMU Office of Human Resources for retiree medical
- TIAA and/or Vanguard for retirement savings
Employee Assistance Program — resources to assist with retirement planning
COBRA — for retirees age 60–64
Retiree Medical — for retirees age 65+
OSHER Institute for Lifelong Learning — learning and social enrichment opportunities