Carnegie Mellon's U.S. campuses observe 10 official holidays. The university is closed on these days, and all non-essential personnel are not expected to report to work. Regular, full-time staff members may also take up to three floating holidays per calendar year.
The holiday benefit is available to U.S. regular, full-time staff members. Staff members whose employment terms are for four months or less are not regular full-time staff members.
International locations, such as Carnegie Mellon University in Qatar, may observe different holidays.
|Official University Holiday||FY 2017–2018 (Observed*)||FY 2018–2019 (Observed*)|
|Independence Day||July 4, 2017||July 4, 2018|
|Labor Day||September 4, 2017||September 3, 2018|
|Thanksgiving Day||November 23, 2017||November 22, 2018|
|Day After Thanksgiving||November 24, 2017||November 23, 2018|
|Christmas Eve||December 25, 2017||December 24, 2018|
|Christmas Day||December 26, 2017||December 25, 2018|
|New Year's Eve||January 1, 2018||December 31, 2018|
|New Year's Day||January 2, 2018||January 1, 2019|
|Martin Luther King, Jr. Day||January 15, 2018||January 21, 2019|
|Memorial Day||May 28, 2018||May 27, 2019|
*When a holiday falls on a Saturday, it is observed on the preceding day. (When the preceding day is also a holiday, both holidays are observed on preceding days.) When a holiday falls on a Sunday, it is observed on the following work day.
U.S. regular, full-time staff members may take three floating holidays during the calendar year. These floating holidays may be taken on days of your choosing, with your supervisor's approval.
The floating holiday benefit is available to U.S. regular, full-time staff members. Staff members whose employment terms are for four months or less are not regular full-time staff members.
Some departments have policies regarding periods when some floating holidays must or may not be used. Check with your department to determine if such a policy exists in your area.
Unused floating holidays do not carry forward to the next calendar year. If they are not used, they will be lost. No payment for unused floating holidays is made to staff members who separate from the university.
For new staff members, the number of floating holidays you are entitled to is prorated based on your hire date.
Floating Holidays for New Staff Members
- Staff members who begin full-time employment by April 30 are entitled to three floating holidays during the remainder of the calendar year in which they are hired.
- Those who begin by August 31 are entitled to two days in the remainder of that calendar year.
- Those who begin by October 31 are entitled to one day in the remainder of that calendar year.
- Staff members hired on or after November 1 are not eligible for floating holidays during the calendar year in which they are hired.
- On January 1 of the calendar year following their date of hire, the employee's floating holidays will re-set to three for the new calendar year.