Child Care Benefits
Carnegie Mellon offers two benefit programs to assist with child care costs: the Cyert Center for Early Education Sliding Scale benefit and a Dependent Care Reimbursement Account.
Cyert Center for Early Childhood Education Sliding Scale Benefit
The Cyert Center for Early Education is a full-day early care and education program serving the university. The Center has two locations: 1060 Morewood Avenue and 6555 Penn Avenue. Children range from three months to kindergarten. The Cyert program was one of the first 100 programs in the U.S. to receive national accreditation. The program is licensed by the Department of Public Welfare and the PA Department of Private Academic Schools.
The Sliding Scale benefit provides a reduction in the Cyert Center’s tuition rate, taking into account your family income for the prior calendar year. The benefit is equal to the difference between your annual Cyert Center tuition and 10% of your family income for the prior calendar year (based on U.S. federal adjusted gross income), up to a maximum benefit of $5,000 in the aggregate for you and your spouse per year.
Sliding Scale Benefit Eligibility
- This benefit is available to full-time, benefits-eligible Staff and Faculty members whose IRS-dependent child(ren) (i.e., child(ren) who meets IRS dependency exemption criteria) has been offered and accepted enrollment in the Cyert Center.
- The benefit is available for no more than two children per family, per lifetime.
- If you are married, your spouse must be currently employed/self-employed and currently earning "earned income," or a full-time student, or mentally/physically unable to care for themselves.
- If two children will be attending the Cyert Center at the same time, the Sliding Scale benefit amount is calculated separately, taking into account the annual tuition for each child. The benefit will then be divided between the children for a maximum benefit up to $5,000.
- The Sliding Scale benefit offsets what you can contribute to the Dependent Care Reimbursement Account (DCRA).
For a comprehensive outline of eligibility requirements, please review the 2017 – 2018 Cyert Center Sliding Scale Benefit Application (see link below).
Sliding Scale Benefit Estimate
Use the worksheet below to help you estimate your eligibility for the Sliding Scale benefit:2017 – 2018 Sliding Scale Estimate Worksheet [.xlsx]
Applying for the Sliding Scale Benefit
- Review the 2017–18 Cyert Center Tuition Rates [pdf] (CMU password required).
- Review and complete the Cyert Center Sliding Scale Benefit Application:
- Return the completed application to the Benefits Office no later than July 1, 2017 for the 2017 – 2018 program year.
Applications received after July 1, 2017 will be processed, but benefits will be prorated and become effective September 1, 2017 or the first day of the month following the date the application is submitted, whichever is later.
If you are completing this application outside the start of the 2017 – 2018 program year, your benefits, if approved, will be prorated and become effective the first day of the month following your child’s enrollment into the Cyert Center or the first day of the month following the date the application is submitted, whichever is later.