Paid Sick Days
The City of Pittsburgh Paid Sick Days Act went into effect on March 15, 2020. This Act gives eligible employees one hour of paid sick time for every 35 hours worked, up to a maximum of 40 hours in a calendar year. Eligible employees may use paid sick days for their own illness or medical care, a family member's illness or medical care, or in the event of a declared public health emergency.
As of November 20, 2020, an automated process in Workday is available to process all paid sick leave requests for eligible employees in Pittsburgh. This replaced the pay worklet/form that was previously used to request this time. The Workday process allows eligible employees to see their paid sick leave balance and make requests for paid sick leave. Supervisors will be notified when an eligible employee makes a request, and they will be required to review and approve or deny these requests in the system.
Employees must notify their supervisor of the need to use paid sick time by submitting a request through Workday. When the need to use paid sick days is foreseeable, the employee must submit a request through Workday in advance. When the need to use paid sick days is not foreseeable (e.g., due to sudden illness or emergency), the employee should provide notice to the supervisor and submit a request through Workday at least one hour before the beginning of the employee’s normal schedule or as soon as possible under the circumstances.
For detailed instructions on how to submit requests, frequently asked questions, and other information related to paid sick leave, please refer to the resources listed below.
- Pittsburgh Paid Sick Leave: Requesting Time Off System Guide [pdf] — Guides a user through the process of requesting Pittsburgh Paid Sick Leave Time Off in Workday
- Pittsburgh Paid Sick Leave: Correcting Time-Off Requests System Guide [pdf] — Guides a user through the process of correcting a Pittsburgh Paid Sick Leave Time Off request in Workday
- Pittsburgh Paid Sick Leave Toolkit [pdf] — Combines many resources into one place for easy access to the most important considerations for Pittsburgh Paid Sick Leave as it relates to the Workday process and the policy. Resources in this toolkit include frequently asked questions, detailed eligibility matrix, system guides, City of Pittsburgh notices, and City of Pittsburgh's frequently asked questions.
- Video Tutorial Part 1: Pittsburgh Paid Sick Leave — Requesting Time in Workday — This tutorial walks employees and student workers through the steps involved with requesting Pittsburgh Paid Sick Leave in Workday. Once in FocusU, click ENROLL to view.
- Video Tutorial Part 2: Pittsburgh Paid Sick Leave — Correcting Time-Off Requests — This tutorial walks employees and student workers through the steps involved with correcting a Pittsburgh Paid Sick Leave request in Workday. Once in FocusU, click ENROLL to view.
Who Is Eligible?
Please Note: Employees who are currently eligible for paid time off through the university (including PTO, Special Faculty Vacation, Library Faculty Vacation, and Local 95 Sick Time) are not eligible for Pittsburgh Paid Sick Leave.
Eligibility for Pittsburgh Paid Sick Days
|Accrual Method||Entitlement||Annual Carry Over||Intended Use|
|Part-time non-exempt staff||Accrued based on hours worked||one hour per 35 hours worked, up to a maximum of 40 hours per calendar year||Carry over up to 40 hours per calendar year*||Employee's own medical condition, care of a family member with a medical condition|
|TES part-time staff|
|TES full-time staff|
|Non-exempt student workers|
|Fixed-term non-exempt full-time staff less than four months|
|Part-time exempt staff||Granted 40 hours per year||40 hours per year, beginning January 1 of each year||Ineligible for carry over|
|Exempt students workers|
|Nine-month special faculty|
|Fixed-Term exempt full-time staff less than four months|
*Any sick leave carried over from year to year will be counted against the annual maximum accrual of 40 hours per calendar year.