Adding a Child to the Family
When you welcome a child into your family, there are steps you should take to update your benefit elections to ensure that your child is covered. Eligible employees may take advantage of leave programs, as well as many other benefits and resources for new parents.
When planning to add a child to your family, you are strongly encouraged to contact a Leaves Administration staff member for guidance on your leave options.
Time Away from Work
- During Parental and Maternity Leave:
- Health and welfare benefits continue at the normal employee rates. The cost of the benefit is deducted from your Parental and Maternity Leave pay.
- Retirement contributions continue during Parental and Maternity Leave.
- During Family and Medical Leave:
- Health and welfare benefits continue at the normal employee rates.
- Retirement contributions continue only if using Paid Time Off.
- Enrolling Your Child in Benefits — You have 60 calendar days from the date of your child’s birth or adoption to add your child to your benefits elections. The benefit election change due to a qualifying life event is done through Workday after your child is born. You will be required to provide your child’s birth certificate within 30 calendar days of enrollment. See the Change Benefit Elections Quick Guide [pdf] for instructions. If you need assistance with processing this change, contact the HR Service Center at 412-268-4600 submit a request for assistance.
- The Employee Assistance Program provides CMU employees and their household members with resources to assist with pregnancy, parenting and child care.
- The Cyert Center for Early Education is a full-day early care and education program serving the university community. Children range from three months to kindergarten.
- Eligible faculty and staff members can take advantage of Child Care Benefits for assistance with child care costs.
- Eligible individuals can use Care@Work to find child care providers or backup child care.
- Breastfeeding individuals can request access to the university's lactation rooms.
- Under the Flexible Working Hours Policy, full-time staff members may work with their supervisor to arrange an alternative schedule to accommodate caregiving duties.
- You may want to create or update your will when welcoming a child to your family. Employees who are enrolled in the Optional Life and AD&D Insurance Plan can receive assistance through the provider's Will Preparation Service [pdf].