Interviewing and Evaluating Candidates
To ensure a fair and equitable hiring process, hiring managers and those involved in the interview process are strongly encouraged to review the guidance documents provided and use the resources and templates throughout their interview process. All questions related to the interview and evaluation process should be directed to your HR recruiter or HR business partner.
Interview Guidance and Best Practices
- Do’s and Don’ts of Interviewing [pdf] — Information on what types of questions can or cannot be asked during the interview process in addition to other actions to avoid to help eliminate bias and ensure a compliant interview experience
- Interview Etiquette and Best Practices [pdf] — Recommended best practices to consider throughout the interview process
- Search Committee Guidance [pdf] — Provides information to consider when identifying and selecting your search committee and outlines the responsibilities of the members involved
- Virtual Interview Guidance [pdf] — An overview of the steps to take to schedule an interview via Zoom and guidance on how best to prepare for virtual interviews
Interview and Evaluation Tools
An organized and structured interview and evaluation process helps to fairly assess a candidate’s ability to perform successfully in the role. The Office of Human Resources has created a customizable interview guide and evaluation tool for hiring managers to use when preparing for interviews, conducting interviews and evaluating candidates.
- Behavioral Interview Guide [docx]
- Core Competencies and Interview Questions Guide [pdf]
- Candidate Evaluation Matrix [docx]
Hiring managers should strive to provide a positive and consistent candidate experience. To help with this effort, the Office of Human Resources has created communication templates for hiring managers or those involved in the interview process to use in their outreach to invite, schedule or confirm interviews. For additional guidance please review the Interview Etiquette and Best Practices [pdf].
- Invitation to Interview Email [docx]
- Calendar Invite [docx]
- Interview Confirmation Email [docx]
- Agenda Template [docx]
Preparing your Interview Panel/Search Committee
To ensure an effective and efficient interview process, it is important to set expectations with the interview panel/search committee before conducting interviews. Provide those involved in the process with the necessary information relative to the position and process, including what role they play in the process, an overview of job responsibilities, the format of the interview(s) and questions they will be asking. Additional information can be found in the Interview Etiquette and Best Practices Guidance [pdf] and the Search Committee Guidance [pdf].