Life and AD&D Insurance for Part-Time Faculty and Staff Members
Basic Life Insurance
The university provides basic life insurance equal to 1x your life base salary or $10,000 (whichever is higher) at no cost to you.
- You are automatically enrolled as of your benefits-eligibility date.
- No evidence of insurability is required.
- You may opt-out of basic life insurance.
- Basic life insurance coverage for those age 70+ is actuarially reduced.
- Imputed income taxes are required for the value of life insurance coverage in excess of $50,000.
Voluntary Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D) Insurance
You may purchase AD&D coverage through the part-time benefits program. This insurance coverage pays a financial benefit to your beneficiaries if you die as a result of an accident. If an accident results in the loss of a limb or certain vital functions, you receive a financial benefit according to a schedule.
- AD&D costs 20 cents per $10,000 of coverage per month or 10 cents per $10,000 of coverage per biweekly pay.
- You may purchase from $10,000 up to $250,000 in increments if $10,000.
- No evidence of insurability is required for any level.
Elect AD&D coverage:
- Elect within 30 days of your hire into a part-time, benefits-eligible position.
- Enroll or increase coverage at Open Enrollment or within 30 days of a life status change.
If your spouse/domestic partner is a full-time, benefits-eligible faculty or staff member:
They may cover you under their Spouse/Domestic Partner Life Insurance benefit. However, you will forfeit your free basic life insurance coverage and you will not be eligible to purchase additional AD&D coverage through the part-time benefits program.