Family and Medical Leave
The Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) provides eligible employees up to 12 weeks of unpaid, job-protected leave for certain family and medical reasons (up to 26 weeks to care for a military service member injured in the line of duty).
Employees who have worked at Carnegie Mellon for at least 12 months and have at least 1,250 hours of service during the 12 month period immediately preceding the leave are eligible for FMLA coverage.
Qualifying Reasons for Taking an FMLA Leave
- Caring for a newly born or adopted child
- Caring for yourself during a serious injury or illness
- Caring for a parent, spouse or child experiencing a serious injury or illness
- Caring for an injured service member
- Circumstances arising from a family member being called to active duty
To Apply for FMLA Leave
- Notify your manager and the Leaves Manager in the HR Benefits Office.
- Complete the Application for Family and Medical Leave of Absence [pdf] and the appropriate certification form at least 30 days in advance of the leave (or with as much advance notice as possible):
- Send the completed forms to the Office of Human Resources, UTDC, 5000 Forbes Ave., Pittsburgh, PA 15213; or fax completed forms to 412-268-7068.
- Inform your manager of your intended date of return to work, if known.