Carnegie Mellon University

Student Workers

As a student worker, you are eligible for certain benefits through Human Resources.

Retirement Savings

There are two retirement savings plans for student workers to make payroll deduction contributions available through Carnegie Mellon University:

  • Carnegie Mellon University Faculty and Staff Retirement Plan (FSRP) for students who are U.S. Citizens or U.S. Permanent Residents
  • Carnegie Mellon University 401(k) Plan (401(k) Plan) for students who are non-U.S. Citizens and non-U.S. residents (non-resident aliens) working in the U.S. or remotely and have U.S. sourced income (not located in Qatar or Rwanda)

Students should be paid in U.S. dollars to participate. U.S. Citizens or U.S. Permanent Residents working at an international location who want to contribute to the Faculty and Staff Retirement Plan can do so, but should contact HR Services if they are not paid in U.S. dollars.

To start, change or stop your employee contributions, log in to Workday. Workday system guides with full instructions are provided on the HR Toolkit.

Health Care Coverage

All full-time students must carry health care coverage that meets certain criteria. Students may enroll in coverage through University Health Services or request a waiver.

Students who meet certain eligibility criteria are invited to enroll in the University Health Plan for Students. You will be notified by email from the Office of Human Resources if you are eligible for this plan.