Carnegie Mellon University

Work-Related Injury

If you sustain a work-related injury or illness through the course of employment at CMU, the Pennsylvania Workers' Compensation Act provides you with medical benefits and payment for lost wages. Your follow-up care must be obtained by approved physicians/facilities to be eligible for Workers' Compensation benefits. You must complete the Workers' Compensation Packet [pdf] to receive benefits. 

On this page:

What to Do When You Sustain a Work-Related Injury or Illness

You must follow this procedure to be awarded workers' compensation.

  1. Seek medical attention.
    • If your injury occurred on-campus and is severe, call University Police at 412-268-2323 for immediate assistance. If the injury occurred off-campus, call 911 for immediate transportation to an emergency room for treatment.
    • If your injury is not an emergency, go to Concentra Medical Center at 120 Lytton Avenue for walk-in treatment or call Concentra Medical Center at 412-621-5430 to schedule an appointment.
  2. Inform your manager and complete paperwork.
    • Inform your manager of your injury immediately (within 8 hours) so you and they can complete an Injury/Illness Report, Information Form and Acknowledgement of Employee Rights and Duties Form. You can find all three forms in the Workers' Compensation Packet [pdf].
    • If your manager is not available, a department representative with knowledge of the situation and departmental authority may submit the forms without manager signatures. The HR Benefits Office will follow up to obtain the necessary signatures.
    • Completed forms must be submitted to the HR Benefits Office immediately:
    • Even if your injury does not appear to require medical attention, complete the forms to record the injury, in case medical attention should become necessary later.
    • Environmental Health & Safety's Incident Response Flowchart [pdf] assists with this process. For more information about this process and reporting, visit EH&S's Accident Prevention and Reporting page.
  3. Obtain necessary follow-up care.
    • Your follow-up care must be provided for the next 90 days by a panel physician [pdf]. Concentra Medical Center is recommended.
    • If you do not choose to have your follow-up treatment provided by a panel physician, you will be required to pay all expenses.
    • After 90 days, if additional treatment is required, you can choose your own physician after notifying the HR Benefits Office within five days.

What Workers' Compensation Provides

  • Payment of Medical Expenses: Reasonable and necessary medical expenses are paid for work-related injuries or illnesses even if you do not miss any days away from work. Medical expenses are paid for as long as you require treatment for the work related injury or illness.
  • Replacement of Lost Wages: You are paid a portion of your salary if you are unable to work due to a work-related injury or illness, up to a maximum amount per week as provided by law. Payment begins after seven calendar days. This is known as the "waiting period." If you are unable to work for more than 14 calendar days, then benefits begin retroactively as of the date of injury or illness.
  • Specific Loss Benefit: Benefits are payable, in specified amounts as defined by law, for the loss of vision, hearing, and/or the use of a limb, including fingers and toes.
  • Disfigurement Benefits: Benefits are payable for serious, permanent disfigurement of the head, face or neck.
  • Death Benefits: Your dependents may claim benefits if you die due to a work-related injury or illness.

Benefits Considerations

Health and welfare benefits continue for six months. After six months, you may elect to continue your health, dental, vision plans and your health care reimbursement account contributions through COBRA.