Programs Involving Minors
As per the Policy on the Protection of Children in Carnegie Mellon Programs, Activities, and Facilities, programs, activities and courses involving minors must register annually with the Office of Human Resources.
The following registration procedure should be adhered to for programs involving minors. To allow ample time to complete all policy requirements prior to the program start date, registration should be submitted at least 45 days before beginning interactions with minors, although earlier registration is encouraged.
1. Designate a Responsible Party
Programs involving minors must designate a responsible party. The Office of Human Resources also strongly recommends the designation of a backup responsible party to serve in the event the primary responsible party is unable to do so. Both the responsible party and the backup responsible party must adhere to the Guidance for Responsible Parties [pdf]
- The responsible party and backup responsible party must sign a Responsible Party Form, which will be provided by the Office of Human Resources once registration is submitted.
2. Compile a Program Roster
The responsible party and/or backup responsible party must compile a roster of CMU faculty, staff, students, contractors and volunteers who will be interacting with minors for the purposes of the program. This roster will be collected during registration.
- Individuals on the roster who do not have the required Child Protection Clearances on file with the Office of Human Resources will be contacted to facilitate the process of obtaining these clearances.
- Additions and changes to the program roster must be submitted to the Office of Human Resources. Please note that individuals added to the roster less than three weeks from the start date of the program may not receive approval to participate, as the Child Protection Clearance process takes at least this amount of time to complete.
3. Submit Program Registration Form
Registration Next Steps
The responsible party and backup responsible party will be notified once the completed registration has been received. The Office of Human Resources will then provide guidance and support regarding completion of the following requirements.
4. Distribute and Collect Release Forms
Written permission must be obtained from each minor’s parent/guardian prior to the minor’s participation in certain CMU programs. The Office of Human Resources will provide a pre-approved release form to the responsible party after program registration has been reviewed. The release form is developed based on the specific circumstances of the program.
- Changes to program operation (use of photography, recording, transportation, etc.) must be submitted to the Office of Human Resources.
- Minors who do not have signed release forms by the start date of the program may not participate. The responsible party (or backup) is required to monitor receipt of signed release forms from the parent or guardian for minor participants.
5. Complete Required Training
The responsible party and backup responsible party must complete an online training prior to the start date of the program:
6. Obtain and Submit Child Protection Clearances
- Individuals who do not have all three Child Protection Clearance results on file prior to the program start date will not be permitted to interact with minors.