Policies and Guidelines
Carnegie Mellon's policies ensure fair treatment of all individuals and encourage the free exchange of ideas and opinions.
University Policies are rules that have been officially sanctioned by the president of Carnegie Mellon University and that generally have university-wide applicability.
Human Resources Policies
Human Resources policies are administrative policies that may support compliance with law, mitigate risk, or communicate the university’s values and expectations of its community members.
- Employment Eligibility Verification (I-9) Policy [pdf]
- Lactation Support Policy [pdf]
- Staff Background Check Policy [pdf]
Staff handbooks are maintained by Human Resources and contain rules and guidelines pertinent to staff members. Some Carnegie Mellon campuses have their own Staff Handbooks or Addenda to address location-specific exceptions and regulations.
- Carnegie Mellon's Staff Handbook: A Human Resources Guide [pdf]
- Carnegie Mellon University in California Staff Handbook [pdf]
Addenda to the Staff Handbook
- Colorado Addendum to the Staff Handbook [pdf]
- Maryland Addendum to the Staff Handbook [pdf]
- New York Addendum to the Staff Handbook [pdf]
- Texas Addendum to the Staff Handbook [pdf]
- Washington, D.C. Addendum to the Staff Handbook [pdf]
- Faculty Handbook — Policies of the university, as well as administrative and faculty organization policies, recorded and maintained by the Faculty Senate
Guidelines for Employees
- Compensation Guidelines: Activity Pay and One-Time Payment [pdf]
- Compensation Guidelines: Staff [pdf]
- Guidelines for Hiring Staff [pdf]
- Statement of Understanding of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) [pdf]
- Drug and Alcohol Policy for Department of Transportation (DOT)-Covered Employees [pdf]
- Safe Harbor Policy [pdf]
- Policy on Temporary Emergency Closing of the University: Guidelines for Pay Practices [pdf]
Government employment-related posters that the university is required by law to post are listed below. In addition, these posters are displayed in physical locations throughout campus and in our other U.S. locations.
- Federal Minimum Wage [pdf]
- Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision [pdf]
- Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) [pdf]
- Equal Opportunity is the Law [pdf]
- Equal Opportunity Is the Law Poster Supplement [pdf]
- Employee Polygraph Protection Act [pdf]
- Rights Under USERRA [pdf]
- OSHA [pdf]
- Employee Rights on Government Contracts [pdf] (not required to be posted)
- Pennsylvania Required Employee Notices
- California Required Employee Notices
- Virginia Required Employee Notices