Policies and Guidelines
- The Staff Handbook, and its location-specific versions and addenda, contain rules and guidelines pertinent to staff members; these handbooks are maintained by the Office of Human Resources.
- The Faculty Handbook contains policies of the university, as well as administrative and faculty organization policies, recorded and maintained by the Faculty Senate.
- University Policies are rules that have been officially sanctioned by the president of Carnegie Mellon University and that generally have university-wide applicability.
- Human Resources policies are administrative policies that may support compliance with law, mitigate risk, or communicate the university’s values and expectations of its community members.
- Employment Eligibility Verification (I-9) Policy [pdf]
- Staff Background Check Policy [pdf] (updated 1/1/23)
- HR Record Retention Policy [pdf] (updated 3/18/22)
- Staff Leave of Absence Policy [pdf] (issued 7/1/22)
- Paid Holidays Policy [pdf] (issued 7/1/22)
- Lactation Support Policy [pdf] (updated 1/31/23)
- Pregnancy Support and Accommodations Policy [pdf]
Guidelines and Procedures
- Compensation Guidelines: Activity Pay and One-Time Payment [pdf]
- Compensation Guidelines: Staff [pdf]
- Guidelines for Hiring Staff [pdf]
- Statement of Understanding of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) [pdf]
- Drug and Alcohol Policy for Department of Transportation (DOT)-Covered Employees [pdf]
- Safe Harbor Policy [pdf]
- Staff Leave of Absence Guidelines [pdf] (issued 7/1/22)
HR Procedure: Temporary Emergency Closing and Inclement Weather Response [pdf]
- Policy on Temporary Emergency Closing of the University: Guidelines for Pay Practices [pdf]
- Temporary Emergency Closing Guidelines [pdf]
Government employment-related posters that the university is required by law to post are listed below. In addition, these posters are displayed in physical locations throughout campus and in our other U.S. locations.
- Federal Minimum Wage [pdf]
- Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision [pdf]
- Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) [pdf]
- Equal Opportunity is the Law [pdf]
- Employee Polygraph Protection Act [pdf]
- National Labor Relations Act Employee Rights [pdf]
- Rights Under USERRA [pdf]
- OSHA [pdf]
- Employee Rights on Government Contracts [pdf] (not required to be posted)
- Pennsylvania Required Employee Notices
- California Required Employee Notices
- New Jersey Required Employee Notices
- New York Required Employee Notices
- Virginia Required Employee Notices
- Washington, D.C. Required Employee Notices