Customer Success Executive
SaaS, FinTech, Global Commerce, ASIA
Doug is a veteran tech executive, having spent over 25 years in the SIlicon Valley growing multiple companies through successful IPO’s and acquisitions. His unique ability to translate technology into practical business discussions became the thread that ties together his diverse experiences in the industry. He’s worked primarily in FinTech and related sectors, with a focus on payment systems and SaaS technologies.
Doug was an early pioneer in the field now known as Customer Success. Many business models today involve a recurring relationship with the customer base, which is materially different than a transaction-driven relationship. His focus on mutually beneficial relationships is a key part of how he’s secured business and then expanded relationships with clients ranging from the NBA, the NFL, General Motors, Bloomberg, Vodafone, Telstra, and others. His experiences as a “first 5 employee” helped him formulate strategies for growing customer operations while preserving capital.
In addition to the Silicon Valley, Doug has lived in Australia, Singapore, and Japan. Doing business in Asia can be quite different from other locations, and Doug has helped companies navigate the many cultural, legal, and historical challenges to be successful in a rapidly expanding market.
After his most recent exit, Doug and his wife returned to his native Pittsburgh, where he continues to advise start-up and large scale clients through a consulting practice, while dabbling in residential real estate and construction.
Areas of expertise:
- Customer Acquisition - defining the journey from prospect to trial to paid customer and beyond
- Customer facing operations - defining and implementing the strategy, starting at pre-revenue and scaling all the way through IPO/ acquisition
- Navigating Procurement - Helping large companies do business with small start-ups - while not wasting precious resources on deals that don’t come through
- Contract negotiation - defining terms you can live with while building confidence with large scale buyers
- International operations - how an early-stage company can support customers around the world
- Asia Operations - unique challenges operating in the Asian markets
Meetings with Doug are by appointment. Please use the email link provided.