Life and AD&D Insurance
Life insurance provides financial protection to your survivors in the event of your death. Our Life and AD&D Insurance is provided through Sun Life Financial.
The university provides basic life insurance (1x your life base salary) at no cost to you.
- You can select basic life insurance only, enroll in supplemental life insurance, or opt out of life insurance when you are hired, during Open Enrollment or upon a life change.
- No evidence of insurability is required for basic life insurance coverage.
- Basic and supplemental life insurance coverage for those age 70+ is actuarially reduced.
- Imputed income taxes are required for the value of life insurance coverage in excess of $50,000.
- The Life Insurance program for benefits-eligible part-time employees and for Local 95 union members differs from that described here.
Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D)
Life Insurance includes an Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D) component. If your death is the result of an accident, your beneficiary will receive double your insurance amount. AD&D coverage also pays a certain amount if you lose a limb or certain vital functions as a result of an accident.
Life Insurance Base Salary
Life insurance base salary is based on your annual salary, as of your date of hire and annually thereafter as of October for the following year. It is rounded up to the nearest $1,000.
- For those on a nine-month appointment, your life base salary is equal to 11/9 x your academic year salary.
- It does not include salary for appointments of less than four months, faculty summer salary, or special compensation.
Month After Death Benefit
If an eligible full-time faculty or staff member dies while actively employed by the university (employees on disability leave are not eligible), his or her life insurance beneficiaries will receive a cash payment equal to one month's pay: one-ninth of an academic year salary or one-twelfth of a twelve-month employee's salary. For eligible CPA members, this equals 168 hours of straight-time pay. To be eligible for this feature, you must have one year of continuous service at Carnegie Mellon. Coverage begins automatically when you are eligible; no enrollment is necessary.