How to Connect to the Wired Network
Complete the steps below to connect.
IT Staff or Student Organizations who maintain network registrations for their group should refer to these alternate Network Registration instructions.
Step 1: Activate your Outlet
- Go to the CANDO website. You must be on the campus wired/wireless network or connected through VPN.
- Click Enter Cable and Network Distribution Operations Application (left sidebar).
- Enter your Andrew userID and password if prompted. You will see the CANDO home screen with a list of your previous activations.
- Open the CANDO Navigation folder and the Activations sub-folder to reveal Search Activations and New Activation options.
- Click New Activation and select the appropriate Location, Building, and Room from field drop-down lists. A list of available outlets and their activation status will appear at the bottom of the window.
- Select the outlet you wish to activate and click Activate.
Note for students: this is the last step to activate your outlet.
- Select the appropriate Network Segment and Templatefields from the drop-down lists if they are not prefilled based on your location.
Note: Network Segment is usually the name of your building (e.g., Cyert Hall, Mudge House, etc.). If you're unsure of what to enter in the Template field, use Single Host.
- Click Save. You will see a summary of your outlet activation. Set an expiration date in the Expires On field, if desired.
- Click Save to submit your request.
Outlet activation may take up to two business days.
Step 2: Connect the Ethernet Cable
Once the outlet is active, connect your Ethernet cable to the Ethernet port in your computer; on the other end connect the Ethernet cable into the data outlet.
- Greek or special interest housing located in Margaret Morrison (Margaret Morrison Apartments-C/Plaza)
- Hamerschlag House
- Margaret Morrison Apartments-B
- Morewood E-Tower
- Morewood Gardens
- Resnik House
- Roselawn-15 (Spirit House)
- Shirley Apartments
- West Wing
Step 3: Register your Computer
You will need the hardware address, building location and subnet for the computer you are registering.
- Go to http://netreg.net.cmu.edu. Read the page instructions. Download the Root Certificate, if prompted.
- Click Enter.
- Log in with your Andrew userID and password.
- Select Register New Machine.
- Select a location from the Building, click Continue and select the Subnet.
- Enter the Basic Information:
- Hostname (optional) - enter a name for your computer.
- Domain Name - select andrew.cmu.edu unless your group is listed.
- Hardware address - enter your computer's hardware address.
- Affiliation - select your affiliation.
- Click Continue. The following displays:
- Registration failed - a red box appears indicating the problem.
- Registration successful - your registered computers are listed.
Please allow at least 30 minutes for the information to propagate to the network.