How To Print to Campus Printers
All printers offer black and white, letter-size, duplex printing. Color and 11 x 17 printing are available at select locations.
Step 1: Install the Printer Drivers
Download the appropriate driver to print to any campus printer.
Visit Print from Linux for more information on printing from a Linux machine.
Step 2: Print
Step 3: Release Your Print Job
- At the printer, swipe your ID or Plaid Cash card.
- Tap the job you would like to print.
- Choose Print.
FAQ and Troubleshooting
You will find common printing questions and troubleshooting tips below. For information about making photocopies, visit The HUB website.
How do I print a PDF?
- Open your PDF and click File and Print.
- Uncheck Choose paper size from PDF document size.
- Select Advanced > Print as Image > OK to print the PDF document.
Is printing available for campus guests?
Yes, see Plaid Cash printing.
Where should I print high-volume or special (glossy paper, color) print jobs?
High brightness coated paper is available for the color laser printer in CFA. If you are using a manual feed to print in CFA, ask the operator for help. The operator will make sure your document is printed on the correct paper. Large print jobs, should be printed at one of the multi-printer sites: Baker Hall 140 corridor, Hunt Reference area, E&S Library or Wean 5200.
How can I tell if a specific Andrew printer is busy?
Visit the Printer Status page for real-time printer status.
What is a Web Station?
Computers that offer on-the-go access to email, a printer or web browser. See the map for locations.
Can I cancel jobs that I no longer wish to print?
Yes, you can cancel jobs that are waiting in your print queue. Swipe your ID card or Plaid Cash card on the card reader at any print station. Select the job you would like to delete and choose the Delete button. Deleted jobs cannot be recovered.
Note: Your print quota is not affected by any print jobs that you delete before pressing Print. Jobs not printed before the expiration time are deleted from the print queue.
What is the cost per sheet?
Refer to the Quota page for price details.
Can I get a refund for a jammed or cancelled job?
Refunds are NOT issued for jammed, defective or cancelled print jobs. However, you may be eligible for a free one-time print job release. Contact Computing Services for more information.
How can I avoid printing blank pages?
When printing web pages, use "Page preview" to ensure that your browser doesn't add a blank page.
What is the print quota and how often is it refreshed?
A quota of $40 per semester is granted to active students, faculty and staff with Andrew accounts and a valid CMU ID card. The intent is to eliminates waste and encourage conservative printing habits.
Do you get to carry over your unused print quota?
Unused print quota dollars do not carry over to the next semester.
How many pages can you print with your print quota?
The $40 print quota will cover roughly 800 black and white pages. Refer to the Quota page for additional price details.
I sent a job to the printer, but it doesn't appear in the print queue.
It can take up to two minutes for your job to appear. Check your computer to be sure that the print job was sent to one of the print stations.
Is there a printer location with a manual feed option?
See the steps for using Manual Feed in CFA.
- Check the printer screen to be sure that it is not jammed.
- If the printer screen indicates a paper-size error, follow the prompts to scale the job to an available paper size.
- If you are printing a PDF document from Adobe Acrobat or Adobe Reader, follow the Tips for Printing a PDF Document.
- Verify the printer is connected. See the Printer Status page.
- It may be a problem with the print job. Try again to print again. If the job fails to print, email contact Computing Services.
Will my document print single-sided or double-sided?
Select the two-sided option in the print dialog box to change this. Older print clients will print single-sided by default. Download and install the current print client to print double-sided by default.
The popup client does not appear on my Mac.
Check to make sure you have the latest software/drivers. If you do and are still having problems, reboot your computer and try again.
Still having problems? Make sure your computer is configured correctly:
- Select Apple System Preferences > Users & Groups > Login Options.
- Enter the admin username and password for your computer, if prompted.
- Click Login Options (bottom left side).
- Uncheck Show Fast User Switching (right side).
- Select Apple System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Firewall > Firewall Options > Enable Pharos Popup.
- Select Go > Computer > Hard Drive > Library > Application Support > Pharos > Utilities
- Select the Uninstaller and follow the wizard.
- Re-install the software again.
I am getting errors installing the software, or Windows Defender detected a Virus when installing.
Please run Windows Update to ensure that your computer is up to date and re-run the installer.
Do you have recommendations for securing a network printer?
See the Secure a Network Printer document for guidance.