Transition your Services
Use the guidance below as you transition the services associated with your Andrew account, including files stored in Box and AFS, personal web pages, and licensed software. Students will have access to most services for 90-days; faculty and staff for 30-days (at your department's discretion) after leaving the university.
Computing Services is working on tools to allow you to migrate your student email to your alumni email account. We will also have better options for archiving your G Suite data. Please revisit this page in August if you'd like to use these updated tools.
Email and Calendar
Step 1: Create an email account
- Faculty and staff - select a free service provider such as Google or Yahoo.
- Graduating students - take advantage of the @alumni.cmu.edu email. See the Alumni Association website for details. Please note, this is a new email account. You will need to export your email, contacts and calendar data (see below).
Step 2: Forward your email
- Visit emailtools.cmu.edu
- Click Mail Forwarding and follow the onscreen steps.
Note: Your email will forward only during the transition period. Once your account access transitions, email forwarding is disabled.
Step 3: Export your email messages, contacts and calendar
G Suite @ CMU
- See Google's documentation to export your calendar data and Google Mail contacts.
- Setup Outlook or Apple Mail to read your Google Mail.
- Export your mail from the email application.
- Outlook - Select File > Export
- Apple Mail - select Mailbox > Export Mailbox
Export your mail, calendar and contacts from the email application.
- Open Outlook.
- Select File > Export.
- Open Mail.
- Select Mailbox > Export Mailbox.
- Open Contacts.
- Select all the contacts - click the first contact, hold shift and click the last contact.
- Select File > Export > Export vCard.
- Open Calendar.
- Select File > Export > Export.
Step 4: Delete or transition ownership of recurring calendar events
If you use Exchange, set an end date for recurring calendar events prior to your departure. Then, another employee should create the recurring meeting from that point forward.
Box and Google Drive
If you have files stored in Box or Google Drive, download them to your computer's hard drive, removable media or another storage location.
Andrew File System (AFS)
Follow these steps to transfer your files from AFS.
- Delete any files that you don't want to keep.
- Use secure FTP to move files to your computer's hard drive, removable media or another storage location.
Published Web Pages
Follow these steps to save and unpublish your personal web pages.
When your Carnegie Mellon affiliation ends, you are required to remove licensed software downloaded from the locations below.
- Computing Services software page (e.g., Matlab, Mathematica, and so on)
- Departmental servers
- Andrew directories
- Microsoft Imagine
- VMware Campus Store