How To Use Google Meet
Google Meet offers real-time communication for up to 250 people. Add a Meet link and a dial-in number directly to your Google Calendar invitation.
Join a Meeting or Class
Step 1: Prepare
- Secure Your Computer and Devices. Update your operating system, install antivirus software and set security preferences.
- Visit Google and click on the profile icon (upper right). Make sure you are logged into Google with your Andrew userID and password.
- To switch Google profiles, click the profile icon (upper right) and select your Andrew account.
- To add your Andrew account, click the profile icon (upper right) and select Add another account. Follow the prompts to log in.
Step 2: Join
- Click on the Join link you received from the meeting host.
- When prompted, grant access to your camera and microphone.
- Click Join Now to enter the meeting.
- Click the menu (right) and choose Change layout to switch between sidebar, spotlight, or tiled layouts.
Note: If you're the meeting host, Google Meet will automatically recognize you when you join the meeting.
Step 3: Attend
When Google Meet is open, the toolbar will display. Use the controls to complete the following:
- Microphone on/off - control your microphone
- Camera on/off - control your video sharing
- People - displays a list of participants in the meeting or class
- Chat - allows you to chat with everyone in the meeting
- Turn on captions - turns on closed captioning.
- Present now - allows you to share your desktop with others
Note: On smaller displays, such as mobile, many of these features move under the menu button (upper right).
Schedule or Start a Meeting or Class
Schedule a Meeting
- Open Google Calendar.
- Click Create to set up a new appointment.
- Click the Add Google Meet Video Conferencing button.
- Enter the meeting details.
- Click Save to send the invitation.
Important! Never share meeting links in a public location, such as a web page, bulletin board or newsletter.
Start a Meeting from Google Mail
Open Google Mail.
In the sidebar (left), click Start a meeting.
Start a Meeting from Google Meet
- Visit Meet.
- Click Join or Start a meeting.
- If desired, create a nickname for your meeting and enter the nickname. Click Continue.
- Click Join now.
Invite Others To Your In-Progress Meeting
To invite others to a meeting:
- Click Meeting Details and select Copy joining info. Share the meeting information via email or another app.
- Click Add people (right):
- Select a name or enter an email address, then click Send invite.
- Or, click Call, enter a phone number and click the Call icon (bottom).
Host a Meeting or Class
Begin a Scheduled Meeting
- Visit Meet
- Click the Join or Start a Meeting button.
- Enter a meeting nickname or leave blank.
- Click Continue.
- Click Join Now.
- The meeting details will display. Copy and paste the information for sharing or click Add People to invite individuals directly from the app.
Once you join the meeting as its host:
- Click the People icon (upper right) to view a list of all participants in the meeting.
- Click an individual's name to pin the person to the top of the list or remove them from the meeting.
Note: Hosts are unable to control participant's audio and video in Meet.
- Click Present Now and select one of the following options:
- Your entire screen
- A window
- A Chrome tab
- Select the item to share.
- Click Share.
- Click Stop Presenting when finished.