How to Use Box
Your CMU Box account offers 1TB storage for individuals and 2TB for organizations, mobile access and supported optional features.
Sign In To CMU Box
- Visit https://cmu.app.box.com and log in with your Andrew userID and password, if prompted.
Use the sidebar to navigate between folders you own and have been invited to.
Upload Content To Box
From within Box:
- Click on the Upload button (upper right) and choose File or Folder.
- Browse for the content you would like to upload and click OK.
Collaborate With Others On Box
Collaborators are people you invite to share a file or folder. When adding collaborators, remember:
- Adding someone within your organization causes your content to appear on their All Files page.
- Adding someone outside your organization will generate a collaboration invitation to anyone without a Box account. That individual will then be prompted to sign up with a Box account.
- Granting someone permission to collaborate in a folder also means that he or she will be granted the same level of permission in all its subfolders. This cannot be changed. Collaborators, however, can be added to just a subfolder.
Visit Shared Links and Collaborators for detailed instructions on how to use these features in Box.
Can I display read-only course content to your students
Professors may have a need to grant their students read-only access to a set of course materials in Box, while granting expanded permission to their TAs. The following steps walk you through one approach to achieve this result:
- Upload all materials to Box in whatever folders make sense for your work.
- Create a new Box folder for the purpose of student access.
- For each file the students are to access, place a bookmark in the new folder that references the file:
- Click the down arrow to the right of the file’s name.
- Click Share.
- Copy the displayed shared link (URI) to the OS clipboard.
- Close the shared link window.
- Navigate into the new folder what will contain the bookmark.
- Click New > New Bookmark.
- Paste the bookmark’s share link from the clipboard to the Address of page/content field.
- Give the bookmark a Name and Description, then click Okay.
- Set an expiration for the bookmark. Refer to the next tip (below).
- Send the students the shared link to the folder which grants them read-only permissions:
Optionally, invite the TAs as Editors to the new folder to allow the TAs to create and manage content in the new folder, including the Bookmarks. Please note, this does not allow the TA to edit the bookmark referenced files:
- Navigate to the page that lists the folder.
- Click the down arrow to the right of the folder’s name.
- Click Share.
- Set the Access to People in Your Company—people with a CMU Box account.
- In the same window Set Link expiration.
- Disseminate to your students the folder’s URI shown in the Link field.
- Navigate into the folder.
- Click Invite People.
- Enter the TA’s Andrew email address in the Invite field (separated by a comma or new line).
- Click Send.
Note: To receive student's work or comments, you might create a folder for a particular course-and-term, then create a subfolder for each student. Invite the student as a collaborator in their respective subfolder.
Can I transfer folder ownership?
To transfer a folder from your account to another Box account, follow the steps below.
- Unsync the file.
- Send the inheritor a collaboration invitation to the folder.
- Change the inheritor’s role to Owner:
- Click the role shown directly under the new owner’s name in the right column.
- Click Owner from the dropdown menu.
- Click Okay in the pop-up window that indicates you will now become an editor.
- Remove yourself as collaborator in the folder.
Does Box have version control?
Box gives you and your collaborators a single online location to create and view tasks and comments about a document as well as the document’s previous versions. You can also view the file’s access stats. Click the down arrow to the right of the filename, then Properties > Access Stats.
To comment on a document or create a task, click the Add comment or task bubble to the right of the file’s name. For more information, see:
How can I edit files without downloading them?
Box provides three apps, Box Edit, Box Sync, and Box Drive, that eliminate the need to download a file from Box when you want to work on it. They are available for Mac and Windows. Box for Office and Box for Office Online are two other apps for accessing Box-stored files from within a Microsoft Office application.
How can I save searches?
If you are always searching for the same content in Box, you can perform the search query just once, then save it as a Box bookmark. To do this:
- Log into Box via a web browser.
- Enter your search terms in the search box.
- Click the magnifying glass.
- Copy the URL to your clipboard.
- Navigate to the Box folder in which you want the bookmark to appear.
- Click New > New Bookmark.
- Past the URL from your clipboard to the Address of page/content field.
- Click Okay.
- Simply click the new bookmark when you want to run the query.
Note: You can use Boolean operators and wildcards in your search.
How do I add email addresses to a CMU Box account?
- Go to CMU Box Account Settings.
- Click Add more emails under the Account tab.
- Enter your non-Andrew email address in the empty field. (You may add more than one non-Andrew email address.)
- Save your update.