Your Andrew account is your gateway to the computing environment at Carnegie Mellon. Andrew accounts are created as part of the onboarding process for all new students, faculty and staff to give access to email, network registration, public computer labs and other resources. Temporary accounts can also be created for visitors at the request of an active sponsor.
Who has an Andrew account?
Students, faculty, staff and sponsored visitors with a direct and active affiliation to the university are given Andrew accounts to gain access to email, network registration, public computer labs and other services and resources.
Individuals that do not have (or no longer have) an active affiliation may be eligible for a visitor account (with an active sponsor).
What services are associated with an Andrew account?
All Web Login services use your Andrew account including email, network access (to campus wired and wireless networks), public computer labs and more.
What happens to my account when I leave?
Continued use of your Andrew userID and access to services through your Andrew account depends on whether you retain any affiliation to the university when you leave.
- Graduating students who become alumni are transitioned to an alumni account, and keep some, but not all, of the computing services they had access to as students. Alumni accounts are created approximately 90 days after a student’s graduation date. Alumni will want to follow the Transition Your Services information before leaving campus.
- Non-graduating students lose access to all computing services after a grace period of approximately 90 days and can follow the Transition Your Services information before leaving campus.
- Faculty and staff whose university employment ends (including retirement) lose access to all computing services after a grace period of approximately 30 days.
- Emeritus professors keep access to all their computing services.
- Sponsored affiliates (with visitor accounts) lose access to all computing services when their sponsorship expires.
If no level of affiliation is maintained, your Andrew account will expire, which terminates all access to all computing services including all email activity and mail forwarding. This applies to both to @andrew.cmu.edu and @cmu.edu email addresses.
How will I know when my account will expire?
Email notifications are sent to students notifying them that their account will expire on a given date. Students will receive email notifications 30, 14 and 7 days before the account expires.