Step 1: Download, Install, and Log In
Download the Zoom app.
Double-click the downloaded file and follow the prompts to install.
Click Sign In.
Click Sign In with SSO.
Enter cmu into the Enter your company domain field and confirm .zoom.us is selected.
Enter your Andrew userID and password.
The Zoom app will open, and you may close the browser.
Click your profile icon (upper right) and select Settings from the drop-down list.
Click General (left), and under Zoom Updates, click the Automatically keep Zoom Desktop client up to date option to enable it.
Note: Never use a personal Zoom account for CMU business or classwork.
Step 2: Configure the Recommended CMU Settings
- Visit cmu.zoom.us and click Sign In.
- Click Settings (left) and then Meeting (top). Note: Apply the settings outlined in steps 3 and 4 below to ensure the most secure Zoom experience.
- Disable the following settings:
- Host video
- Participant video
- Allow participants to join before host
- Enable the following settings:
- Mute all participants when they join a meeting
- Require a passcode for Personal Meeting ID (PMI)
- Click Profile (left) and click the Edit link to the left of your name to update your preferred name and pronouns.
- Close your browser.
Participate in a Meeting
Join a Meeting
- Click the Zoom meeting link you received from the event host, then enter the meeting passcode if prompted.
- Enter your name if prompted. You will only be asked to provide this if you are not already logged in to Zoom.
- Click Open Zoom, if prompted, to join your meeting with the Zoom app.
- The meeting will launch, and you will be given the option to join audio or automatically join audio for future meetings.
- Click Leave when the meeting has ended to leave the meeting.
Popular Meeting Controls for Participants
Host a Meeting
Schedule and Start Meetings
Note: Meeting hosts do not require a separate link to join the meeting. If you are logged into the Zoom app, you will automatically become the meeting host once you join the meeting.
Hosting a Large Meeting?
Popular Meeting Controls for Hosts
Secure a Meeting or Class
For that reason, all CMU Zoom meetings will be restricted by default in the following ways:
- All meetings will require a passcode. This cannot be changed on an individual basis.
- Only the host will be able to share content in meetings. This can be adjusted from within a meeting or class using Zoom's security options.