CMU Email Addresses for Alumni
CMU offers full @alumni.cmu.edu email accounts, powered by G Suite, exclusively to all alumni.
Full email accounts are automatically available for alumni from the Classes of 2015 to present. Alumni who graduated prior to 2015 can request an account. If you would like to request an account or are unable to access alumni email, please contact email@example.com for assistance.
With G Suite @alumni.cmu.edu email, you can:
- Send and receive @alumni.cmu.edu email
- Maintain a personal calendar
- Store personal contacts
If you already have an alumni email account powered by G Suite, you can access the account by logging in using your Andrew ID and password through your preferred web browser at http://mail.alumni.cmu.edu. Non-browser access using a mobile device or email client requires a separate G Suite password.
Alumni Email Powered by G Suite FAQs
To learn more about how G Suite handles data security and privacy, visit the G Suite Security Center.
How do I update my Andrew password?
- Visit the Change Password page.
- Enter your AndrewID and password, then click Login.
- Follow the prompts to create a password that meet university guidelines. Avoid using the same passwords that you’ve set for other accounts.
- Once the process is complete, log in with your new Andrew password.
Learn more about Password Management on the Computing Services website.
If you have forgotten your password, you can use the reset process by:
- Visit the Password Reset
- Enter your Andrew user ID and click Continue.
- If you have a persoanal email address on file, follow the prompts to create a one-time code that will be sent to the personal email address. If you do not have a personal email address on file, you will be asked to answer your personal challenge questions. Should you not remember your challenge questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
What is 2 factor authentication (2fa) and why is it being added to alumni email?
In order to provide an additional level of account protection, the university is enrolling alumni in two-factor authentication (2fa). This is parallel to the login process used for the CMU community of students, faculty and staff.
All @alumni.cmu.edu email address users will need to enroll in 2fa by Wednesday, December 15, 2021.
2FA provides a secondary checkpoint to verify your identity. Here is how it works:
- Install the free DUO app on your smartphone or other mobile device.
- Register your device.
- The next time you log in to a CMU resource via Single Sign-On (SSO), such as SIO or Canvas, with your Andrew userID and password, you'll be prompted to “Send Me a Push,” which will send a notification to your mobile device.
- Approve the log in on your mobile device and continue, just as you always have.
It takes just a few minutes to register. Visit How to Use 2fa for step-by-step instructions on getting started with DUO.
Forgot your Andrew password?
- Visit the Password Reset page.
- Enter your Andrew user ID and click Continue.
- Follow the prompts to create a one-time code that will be sent to the personal email address that you have on file with the university.
Please direct any questions to email@example.com.
As a new graduate, when will I be able to access my @alumni.cmu.edu email?
As an alumnus, how do I request an @alumni.cmu.edu email?
For alumni who graduated prior to 2015, you can request your alumni email address by contacting the Alumni Association at firstname.lastname@example.org. You will receive an email confirming your request, as well as further instructions regarding the activation of your Andrew ID for login purposes in subsequent communications. Your alumni email name will be assigned by the university. Your alumni email address will be NAME@alumni.cmu.edu.
Please Note: The university is no longer able to support @alumni.carnegiemellon.edu email addresses that were created under the previous email forwarding system.
Will my email address change?
Current Students Preparing to Graduate
Yes, as a graduate of Carnegie Mellon, your @andrew.cmu.edu and @cmu.edu alias will cease to function approximately 90 days after graduation. As you prepare for the loss of this account, you should read the Computing Services recommendations for graduating students.
The new @alumni.cmu.edu email will use your Andrew ID as your name, but will use the "alumni" designation in your email, i.e. "email@example.com."
Will my student andrew.cmu.edu email and folders be moved for me?
Yes, email can be moved from your @andrew email to the new @alumni email account via the university’s transition tool. For detailed information on transitioning your services, visit the Computing Services website.
How will I log into my alumni email account?
Logging into your alumni email is simple. All it requires is an Andrew ID and password. Recent graduates will already know their account information, as it is the same as what you use to log into other university services. For alumni wishing to create an alumni email, your Andrew ID will need to be reactivated or created to allow you to access your alumni email. This will be taken care of as part of the process of requesting an alumni email.
Note: If you wish to access your alumni email via mobile device, check out the handy tutorial and FAQs from CMU's Computing Services to learn more about setting up your device and email client.
How can I access my email via mobile device or through an email client?
Since the university does not share Andrew ID/password information with Google, you will need to create an alternate password to be used to access your account via an email client or mobile device. These instructions will walk you through setting an alternate password and setting up to receive email using an alternate email client.
SET GOOGLE APPS PASSWORD FOR SHARED ACCOUNTS
- Visit https://identity.andrew.cmu.edu/ and log in.
- Click the radio button to set/change your “Alumni Google Apps Password” and enter and confirm the password.
- Enter a password.
- Click “Change Password” at the lower right to save your changes.
ADJUST SECURITY SETTINGS IN @ALUMNI.CMU.EDU GOOGLE APPS:
- Visit www.alumni.cmu.edu/alumnigmail
- Click the link on the right to access your alumni email account.
- Log in with your Andrew ID and password (not this is NOT the password you just created).
- On the homepage of gmail, click the little 3x3 square icon in the top row of icons in the upper right of your screen and select “My Account.”
- Click the “Sign in and security” header and scroll down to the bottom of the page to the “Connected Apps and Sites” section.
- Click the slide toggle to on for “Allow less secure apps.”
- Click the little 3x3 square icon in the top row of icons in the upper right of your screen and select “Mail.”
ENABLE IMAP IN @ALUMNI.CMU.EDU GOOGLE APPS:
- From the alumni gmail homepage, click the gear icon (top right).
- Select Settings.
- Click Forwarding and POP/IMAP.
- Select Enable IMAP.
- Click Save Changes.
MAKE SETTINGS CHANGES TO PERSONAL CLIENT:
- Go to your personal email client.
- Add the new email per the local email client’s instructions for adding a new account.
The SMTP information you will need can be found at https://support.google.com/mail/answer/7126229?visit_id=1-636468033787705373-2019935800&hl=en&rd=1
I received a "Login - Error Message" when I attempted to access my account.
You may see the following error messages when you log into G Suite:
- Chrome: This webpage has a redirect loop.
- Firefox: Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this address in a way that will never complete.
If you do, just clear your browser cache and cookies and check that your system clock is correct. Be sure to log in through mail.alumni.cmu.edu.
Can I log into other Google services with my Andrew userID and password? (e.g., Wallet, Photos)
What if I already have a personal Google/Gmail account?
I read my email on my phone. Will it still work?
My Android phone requires me to re-authenticate multiple times a day. What should I do?
Why do I need a separate password for my email client or mobile device app?
Can I forward my email to another email account?
- Visit http://mail.alumni.cmu.edu/
- Sign in with your AndrewID and password.
- On the email homepage, click the "Gear" icon in the upper right and click "Settings" from the pop up menu.
- In the settings menu, select the "Forwarding and POP/IMAP" tab from the top navigation in the main body.
- The first item in the tab is "Forwarding" Click the button to "Add a Forwarding Address."
- Enter the email where you would like your messages forwarded to and click "Next" in the pop up.
- Confirm that you want to forward your messages.
- Click "Ok" and go to your preferred email to get the confirmation code that google apps sent.
- In your google Apps account forwarding menu, enter the confirmation code in the textbox and click "Verify."
- Finally, on the forwarding menu screen, click the radio button next to "Forward a copy of incoming mail to..." and click "Save Changes" at the bottom of the page to turn on the forwarding function.