Download, Log In and Configure Zoom
Step 1: Download
- Review the Zoom app's system requirements for your device.
- Download the Zoom Client for Meetings to your device.
- Follow the prompts to the install the software.
Step 2: Log In
- Open the Zoom app.
- Click Sign In.
- Choose Sign In with SSO.
- Enter cmu into the Enter your company domain field. Confirm .zoom.us is selected.
- Click Continue.
- Enter your Andrew userID and password to log in. Never use your personal Zoom account for CMU business or classwork.
- The Zoom app will open and you may close the browser.
Step 3: Configure Your Settings
- Visit cmu.zoom.us and click Sign In.
- Click Settings (left) and then Meeting (top).
- Update the following settings:
- Host video (disable)
- Participants video (disable)
- Join before host (disable)
- Mute participants upon entry (enable)
- Require a passcode for Personal Meeting ID (PMI) for all meetings (enable)
- To change your preferred name in Zoom or add your pronouns, click Profile (left) and then Edit (right). Update your pronouns, then click Save.
- Close your browser.
Keeping You Safe
As an enterprise, CMU has already put default settings in place for all accounts, to ensure the most secure Zoom environment possible.
- Host-only sharing - All CMU Zoom meetings are restricted by default so that so that only the meeting host can share. You do have the option to change this as needed from within a meeting or within the advanced your Zoom profile settings of your account.
- Passcodes Required - Passcodes will be enabled for all meetings. The passcode is already embedded in the meeting link, so participants only need to click on the link to join. For security purposes, this default setting will be locked for all CMU Zoom accounts.
Secure a Meeting or class
Update Zoom Frequently
- Open the Zoom app and click the zoom.us menu (upper left).
- Click Check for Updates.
- If an update is available, click Update.
Never Use a Personal Zoom Account
All students, faculty and staff have a CMU Zoom account that's been customized for university use. Always follow the instructions above to log in with your Andrew userID and password.