Guidelines for Using Google Gemini
Google Gemini (formerly Google Bard) is Google's conversational Artificial Intelligence (AI) service.
Intended Use at CMU
The intended use case for Google Gemini at CMU is for the purpose of general searching and inquiries.
According to Google, those using Google Gemini:
- Must be aged 18 years or older.
- May not:
- Use this service to develop machine learning models or related technology.
- Attempt to bypass protective measures such as blocking harmful content that violates Google’s Prohibited Use Policy.
- Input any personal or sensitive information, including names, phone numbers, addresses, emails, or birth dates.
- Must comply with:
It is important that instructors and students be aware of Google’s terms and conditions for using Google Gemini at CMU, as it is an Additional Service and is NOT covered by the university's Google Workspace for Education licensing agreement.
Additional Services are subject to Google’s consumer app terms and conditions. Therefore:
- Google Gemini may NOT be used to search for any sensitive university data considered Private or Restricted.
- All text entered into Google Gemini should be considered Public.