Secure Your Windows 10 Computer
Update Your Operating System
- Select the Start > Settings > Update & Security.
- Select Windows Update > Advanced options.
- Choose Automatic for how updates are installed.
- Check Give me updates for other Microsoft products.
- Click the back arrow.
- Click Check for updates.
- Install updates if available. This may take a few moments as the updates are installed. Restart if prompted.
- Repeat until no updates are found.
Update Other Software
- Update other software applications you may have. Consider the following:
- Adobe products (e.g., Acrobat, Flash, Reader, etc. as well as any plug-ins)
- Web browsers
- Most applications can be updated by selecting Check for Updates in one of the following menus: Application, Preferences or Help.
- When you update these applications, please make sure to select the “Automatically install updates” option.
- Run QUALYS Browser Check regularly. This tool will walk you through updating any browser-related applications; and will help you protect your computer from those actively exploiting security flaws through the web.
Configure Anti-Virus Software
Remove Anti-virus Software
- Click Start.
- Type Control Panel in the search box and select Control Panel from the results.
- Select Programs and Features.
- Select the anti-virus software title you’d like to remove and click Uninstall.
- After uninstall completes, restart your computer.
Configure Windows Defender
- Click Start.
- Type Defender in the search box and select Windows Defender from the results.
- Turn on Real-Time Protection.
Set Security Preferences
Password Protect Your Computer
- Select Start > Settings > Accounts.
- Select Sign-in options and click Add.
- Choose a strong password (e.g., at least eight characters, contains upper/lower case letters and numbers, etc.)
- If others use this computer, select Family & Other users.
- Create an account and password for each person using the computer.
Password Protect Your Screen Saver
- From the Find a setting search field, search Screen Saver.
- Set the following
- Choose a Screen saver.
- Set the Wait time to 10 minutes or less.
- Select On resume, display logon screen.
- Click Apply and then OK.
Turn on the Firewall
- From the Find a setting search field, search for Firewall.
- Select Windows Firewall.
- Select Turn Windows Firewall on or off.
- Verify that Windows Firewall state is set to ON.
- Click OK.