News Article pages are ideal for stories, press releases, events, announcements, blog posts, media mentions, promoting important topics... they are so versatile!
News Article pages include the following features:
- Pre-defined fields for authoring news such as date, summary, byline and media inquiries
- Option to add a photo
- Tagging ability for filter functionality
- Sidebar for link list, event list, or WYSIWYG
- Hero and additional content area
- Ability to feature in Hero of other pages
News Article pages work with News Index pages to provide a directory listing of news.
Example of a News Article page.
Create a News Article Page
Ideally, News Article pages should be contained within a designated news section on your site; if you're starting from scratch, review the folder structure recommendations and create your folders for your news section.
Select the folder in the asset tree where you want to create the News Article page
- Click Add Content > News > News Article
- Complete the required information:
- Page Name - Enter the system name for the page (displayed in the asset tree and live URL); follow the requirements provided in the interface
- Placement Folder - This will reflect the selected folder; click on folder to change if necessary
- Title - Enter the user-friendly name displayed in the navigation (typically the title of the article)
- Description - Enter a summary of the page; used by search engines
- Start Date - Specify a timestamp for the article. Note: a date set in the future will publish the page on that date; more on scheduled publish.
- Specify whether to Display Date on Article
- Hide from Navigation - To prevent page from displaying in the navigation, leave at the default Yes; change to No to include it
- Include Hero Section (optional)
Creating a new News Article page.
Image, Subheading, Byline & Media Inquiries (optional)
- Include Syndication Image at top of article - If you want to display the syndication image on the News Article, select Yes
- Subheading - Enter a subheading to be displayed below the article's Title
- Byline - Enter the Name and Email of author
- Media Inquiries - Enter the Name, Unit or Title, Email and Phone of the person in which to make media inquiries
Example of image, subheading, byline and media inquiries; media inquiries is collapsed by default and can be expanded by clicking the Media Inquiries link.
Page Categories (optional)
Categories allow filtering on News Index pages. Specify what categories the News Article should be tagged with (new categories can be created in the categories block; more on categories). Click in each box to select one or more categories; to remove a category from being selected, click on it and press delete.
- CMU Categories - Common categories used across CMU's websites
- Site Categories (Custom)
- Categories 1 & 2 - Categories specific to your site
- Concentrations - Concentrations specific to your site
- Degrees - Degrees specific to your site
Page categories in the page edit interface.
- Section ID (optional) - Specify a Section ID if you want to link directly to this section on the page
- Content - Enter the body of the news article into the WYSIWYG
- Sidebar (optional) - Add a sidebar
Example of main content and two sidebars (event list and WYSIWYG) on page.
Additional Content Area (optional)
Additional content area in the page edit interface.