Files are the assets used on your site such as the images and documents. All files can be uploaded to the CMS using the same method.
Upload a File
- Select the folder in the asset tree where you want to upload the file
- Click Add Content > File
- Skip down to the section Drop file(s) here or choose some from your computer
- Drag and drop file from your computer into the box, OR
- Choose and browse to select a file from your computer. Tip: you can select multiple files to upload by holding down shift to select a range of files, or control to select files individually.
- Click Save & Preview or ⋮ Submit, or to configure additional options see below
Additional Options (optional)
- File Name - Automatically populates to match the original file name and enforces best practices (lowercase letters, hyphens instead of spaces); adjust if needed
- Title - While files do not display in the navigation, Title can be used to automatically populate Alt Text for images; this will ensure consistency throughout the site every time an image is used
- Hide from Navigation - Disregard, files do not display in the navigation
Batch Upload Files
An efficient way to batch upload a large number of files is to consolidate them in a zip folder prior to upload.
- Prepare the files on your computer by organizing them into an appropriate folder structure that will be preserved upon upload to the CMS. If all images can be uploaded to a single folder on your site, such as the images folder, creating a folder structure for the zip is not necessary.
- Select the folder or files to upload and using your computer's zip utility tool, compress the items into a zipped folder:
- Windows: right-click > Send to > Compressed (zipped) folder
- Mac: right-click > Compress Items
- Return to the CMS and follow the steps provided on this page to Upload a File, selecting the zip folder in Step 3
- Upon upload, you will be asked if you would like to extract and save all of the contents into the current directory, select Yes
- The files will be extracted and ready to use
While creating or editing a file, tabs are available at the top of the edit window to configure additional settings.
The settings in the Content tab include the settings covered above for uploading a file; if the file is an image, the Image Editor will be present.
- Include when indexing - Leave untouched; not used for files
- Include when publishing - Allow the file to be included when publish jobs are performed on the file or a parent folder
Change the size of the edit window to fullscreen, or revert to original size.
What file types are acceptable to use on my site? Is there a size limit?
There is a 200 MB file size limit per file. The most popular files that can be used on CMS sites are as follows:
- Images - jpg, gif, png, svg
- Documents - pdf, docx, xlsx, pptx