How To Use MassMail
A typical MassMail message requires two files:
- a merge file - a .csv file that contains the email addresses where you want to send your message. The merge file contains additional field data for a personalized message.
a message file - the fixed text that you want to send to your email list.
To create these files, and use them with the MassMail service, follow the instructions below.
Create a MassMail Merge File
To create a MassMail merge file, do the following.
- Gather all your information, including the complete email addresses of the recipients of your message.
(optional) If you are sending a personalized MassMail message, gather merge field data for each email address. See Merge File Fields for important details.
- Download the MassMail Merge File template, then open it.
- Click File > Save As... and save the template as a .csv file. You can rename the file, if you want.
- In the .csv file, enter the email addresses you want to send your message to, beginning in cell 2A (the cell below the field %EMAILADDRESS%). Click the cell, then enter the complete email addresses into column A, one address in each cell. Enter data only in the cells below row 1.
Note: A valid MassMail merge file must have a minimum of three complete email addresses in column A, one address each in rows 2, 3 and 4. Do not leave an empty cell between email addresses.
Example of a Merge File
- (optional) For a personalized MassMail message, click the cell in row 2 in each column, then enter the data for each merge file field in the appropriate cells. Confirm that the correct data corresponds to each email address.
Example of a Personalized Merge File
- Save your document in .csv format.
- Row 1 of the template contains the names of the MassMail merge file fields in a fixed order.
Important! Do not change the names or locations of the fields. Do not change the order of columns A through L in the template.
- A merge file field must be formatted as follows: all uppercase letters, and beginning and ending with the percent (%) symbol, for example, %DEPARTMENT%.
- In a personalized message, the name of each merge file field must be identical to the name of the corresponding field in your .csv file.
Send a MassMail Message
To send a general MassMail message, do the following.
- Log in to the MassMail Service.
- Click Send New MassMail.
- Fill in the following fields:
From Email address of the sender Specify mergefile Click Choose File to select the file containing the list of email addresses where the message will be sent. See Create a Mail Merge File for details. Subject Subject of the message Reply To Email address where a recipient sends a reply Bounce Address Email address where you want to receive messages that cannot be delivered Type message below
The text you want to send, which can be a fixed message, or a personalized message with custom fields. See Create a Mail Merge File for details.
Example of a Fixed Message
- (optional) To delete all information on the form, click Reset Form.
- Click Preview to view your message as it will appear when sent.
- Click Send, then OK to send your message or Cancel to cancel the message.
Manage Past MassMail Messages
To manage past MassMail messages, do the following.
- Log in to the MassMail Service.
- Click Manage Past MassMails.
- Do one or more of the following:
- Preview a message - Click Preview next to a message.
- Edit a message - Click Edit next to a message.
- Delete a message - Click the box next to a message in the SELECT column, click Delete Selected (bottom-left), then click OK.