The Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) phone service allows you to use the network to make and receive phone calls. VoIP phone service provides:
- Reduced phone charges
- Remote accessibility of your phone system's features (anywhere you have a network connection)
- Web and video conferencing (depending on your service needs) to reduce travel and training costs
- Simultaneous ringing of one phone line on multiple devices (e.g., help desk operations)
Voicemail is included with all Unified Communications accounts. Users can access it three ways:
- from a telephone
- in email
Cisco Jabber is an application that allows you to communicate, from anywhere, from desktop and mobile devices by instant messaging, voice, voicemail, and video. It gives you the functionality of a telephone handset through an application available for Mac, PC, Apple iOS, and Android OS.
IMPORTANT: Do not use Cisco Jabber to call 911 (emergency services). The application may not provide timely or accurate location data, and may cause calls to be misdirected to the wrong emergency response center.
Cisco Jabber provides access to a telephone number extension with standard features, including:
- User Presence Status and Instant Messaging: Check the online presence status of others and chat (instant message) with them.
- Phone Calls: Use your account with your VoIP desk phone, or with your computer or mobile device to turn it into a standalone virtual phone.
- Voicemail and Missed Calls: Listen to voicemail messages and view a list of missed calls.
- Video Calls: Make video calls without connecting to the campus network.
- People Search: Look up names, email addresses, and phone numbers of university affiliates, even if they do not use Cisco Jabber.
If you want to install Jabber on a mobile device (iOS or Android), email Computing Services with the following information:
- Full Name
- Andrew userID
- Phone Number
- Device Type and Operating System
You will receive a confirmation email when your device is provisioned for CMU's Jabber application.