Room Selection & Fraternity/Sorority Housing
For Room Selection 2023, returning residents will apply for and participate in either Room Selection (for on-campus residence halls and apartments) or Fraternity/Sorority housing (for residents selected to live in their chapter house.) Students may also be assigned to a designated Resident Assistant (RA) or Community Advisor (CA) space (if hired for a position), or be assigned to a themed living community (Spirit House).
Virtual Room Selection 2023 Information Session
Learn about what's new for Room Selection 202, including eligibility, housing options, phases, resources and more.
Room Selection 2023 - Campus Housing or Fraternity & Sorority Housing?
Select your own room in on-campus residence halls or apartments (individuals or groups of 2-5 roommates)
Live in your sorority or fraternity house.
Other Housing Options
Get involved in your community.
Live with anyone you wish.
Live in the Spirit House or work with the Housing team to meet your accommodation needs.
Live off campus.
Room Selection (RS) is the process through which residents apply for campus housing for the upcoming year to select their own room, either by themselves or with a roommate group of two to five residents. (Note: There is a limited number of units available for roommate groups of four and five.)
Students who apply for Room Selection and sign a housing license agreement will receive a random Room Selection timeslot within the larger pool of all Room Selection applicants, which determines the date and time when they select their housing assignment for the following academic year. Please note that effective for Room Selection 2023, there is no "priority" given to any particular class standing - all eligible applicants will be part of the same pool when timeslots are randomly generated, regardless of class standing.
For most applicants, Room Selection takes place completely online, but Housing Services is available during timeslot hours to provide in-person assistance.
The following buildings/units/areas will be available during Room Selection:
- Fifth Clyde House - One-year-old residence hall, consisting of Semi-Suite Doubles, Semi-Suite Singles, Suite Doubles, and Suite Singles
- Fifth Neville Apartments - Apartment building consisting of Studio Doubles, One-bedroom Apartment Doubles, and a limited number of Two-bedroom apartments (two-bedroom units consist of one Apartment Double and one Apartment Single)
- Forbes Beeler Apartments - Brand new apartment building, located on Forbes Ave., consisting of Apartment Doubles and Apartment Singles in four and eight-occupant units.
- Highlands Apartments - Two-bedroom apartments consisting of two Apartment Singles per unit (reserved for rising Juniors and Seniors only)
- Margaret Morrison Apartments - Townhouse-style apartments with private entrance; each unit is a two-bedroom apartment consisting of two Apartment Doubles (4 occupants per apartment)
- Morewood Gardens - CMU's largest residence hall consisting of Semi-Suite Doubles, Semi-Suite Triples, and Semi-Suite Singles. (Note: Morewood Gardens will have approximately 100 bed spaces reserved for upper-class students, with the remainder of the building being first-year housing.)
- Neville Apartments - Two-bedroom (3 occupant) apartments consisting of one Apartment Single and one Apartment Double; private entrances to each unit
- Resnik and West Wing Houses - Primarily three-bedroom (5 occupant) suites, consisting of two Suite Doubles and one Suite Single; some other layouts and size variations exists (see floor plans); limited number of Semi-Suite Singles and Semi-Suite Doubles
- Roselawn Houses - Three-bedroom townhouses, consisting of two Apartments Doubles and one Apartment Single (half of Roselawn houses will be reserved for rising Juniors and Seniors); private entrances to each unit
- Shirley Apartments - Apartment building consisting of one-bedroom (two occupant) Apartment Doubles.
- Woodlawn Apartments - A wide variety of apartment layouts made up of combinations of Apartment Singles and Apartment Doubles (see floor plans for layouts)
Who can participate in Room Selection?
What are my housing options if I am part of a roommate group?
Residents who are selecting rooms as part of a roommate group generally have a greater number of options than those residents selecting by themselves, since most multi-bedroom apartments and suites are reserved for residents who are a part of a roommate group of friends selecting together.
All of the housing options below are reserved for roommate groups during the first three days of General Room Selection timeslots, and in order to select, the roommate group size must match the number of bed spaces in the unit. For example, a roommate group of 4 would not be able to select an empty Roselawn house, since an empty Roselawn House has 5 beds and is thus only available to groups of 5.
Roommate groups that are have only 2 or 3 residents are also eligible to select any double or triple room listed from the options in the "Individual or smaller roommate groups" section below.
- Fifth and Clyde House Suites (Groups 4) – 4 occupant suites consisting of either four Suite Singles, or two Suite Doubles (Note: Fifth and Clyde suites are limited in availability)
- Fifth Neville Apartments (Groups of 2 or 3) – 2 occupant apartments consisting of one Apartment Double or one Studio Double, 3 occupant apartments consisting of one Apartment Double and one Apartment Single
- Forbes Beeler Apartments (Group size TBD) - More information To Be Announced
- Highlands Apartments (Groups of 2) – 2 occupant apartments consisting of two Apartment Singles
- Margaret Morrison Apartments (Groups of 4) – 4 occupant apartments consisting of two Apartment Double bedrooms
- Morewood Gardens (Groups of 2 or 3) - 2 occupant semi-suite doubles, or 3 occupant semi-suite triples
- Neville Apartments (Groups of 3) –3 occupant apartments consisting of one Apartment Double and one Apartment Single bedroom
- Resnik and West Wing Houses (Groups of 4 or 5) – 4 or 5 occupant suites consisting of a combination of Suite Doubles and Suite Singles
- Roselawn Houses (Groups of 5) – 5 occupant apartments consisting of two Apartment Doubles and one Apartment Single
- Woodlawn Apartments (Groups of 3) – 3 occupant apartments, consisting of one Apartment Double and one Apartment Single
What are my housing options if I am selecting by myself or with just one other person?
The building options below do not have any requirements to completely fill all beds within the room or unit. Therefore, these options can be selected by students selecting by themselves, or by smaller groups of only 2 or 3 roommate who prefer these building options. Unless otherwise specific above, these buildings do not have options for larger sized roommate groups (large groups would need to split into smaller groups).
- Fifth and Clyde Semi-Suites (individuals OR groups of 2 or 3) – Semi-Suite Double and Semi-Suite Singles (suite style rooms only available to groups that can fill the unit)
- Fifth Neville Apartments (individuals OR groups of 2) – 2 occupant apartments consisting of one Apartment Double or one Studio Double
- Morewood Gardens (individuals OR groups of 2 or 3) – 2 occupants in a Semi-Suite Double or 3 occupants in a Semi-Suite Triple; limited number of Semi-Suite Singles
- Resnik and West Wing Houses Semi-Suites (individuals OR groups of 2; very limited availability) – 2 occupants in one Semi-Suite Double (Note: Resnik semi-suite doubles typically shares a bathroom with an Resident Assistant in the adjoining semi-suite single room)
Get Ready for General Room Selection
Start your Room Selection application and sign your Housing License Agreement.
Select "General Room Selection" on the Process Selection page of the application.
Set up your roommate group, share your group name and password, and pair up with your roommates OR join a roommate group if your desired roommate already set up a group (only one group should be created for any sized roommate group)
Submit your General Room Selection application
Wait to receive your General Room Selection time slot, which will be emailed on February 25, 2022, by 5 p.m. Your time slot determines the date and time that you will be able to go in and select your room. In the meantime, start investigating your housing options.
At the start of your timeslot, log into the Housing Portal to select your room. If you have confirmed roommates, the person with the best timeslot can assign all roommates to the selected room during their timeslot. Identify a room or apartment that can accommodate the size of your roommate group, and assign all roommates to spaces.
Step-By-Step Instructions for When Your Timeslot Starts
A few minutes before the start of your timeslot, you should log back into the Housing Portal and return to your Room Selection Application.
- If not automatically directed, go to the page titled "Your General Room Selection Timeslot."
- Once your timeslot has started, click the "Refresh" button at the bottom of the page.
- Choose which process you will be participate in "Room Selection for Larger Roommate Groups" or "Room Selection for Individuals/Pairs/Smaller Groups" and select it from the drop-down list.
- Click the "Save and Continue" button.
- On the "Initial Building Filter" page "select" the building you are interested in browsing.
- Available rooms that can accommodate your roommate group should display. You can use the filters on the left-hand side to filter by room type, browse different buildings, etc.
- Once you have identified a room that you would like to select click the "Select this room" button. (Please note: For the "Larger Roommate Groups" process, all rooms within the unit/suite/apartment will be selected, and your roommate group size much match the size of the number of beds selected.)
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click "Save and Continue."
- Assign yourself and each member of your roommate group to bed spaces within your select unit/room.
- Click "Assign Beds."
- Review your assignments. You can still make changes at this point. If you need to make a change, click "Go Back" and start over. If your assignments are correct and you are ready to lock in your selections, click "Confirm."
- Last step! Click "Complete" to complete your application as well as the applications of any roommate group members. (Your roommate groups don't need to do anything - you are doing this on their behalf if you are the one selecting the rooms.)
- You're done! You should be taken the Room Selection Application Status page. As long as you've ended on this page, you've done everything you need to do. You'll see your assignment as well as any suitemates or roommates within your unit in the summary at the bottom of this page.
- You may now log out of the Portal. You can return to the Application Summary page at any time to review your assignment.
Students participating in Extended Selection can select from all remaining rooms and do not need to fill the room with roommates. Extended Selection is only for residents who have not yet selected a room.
Any student who received a General Room Selection timeslot but did not yet select a room is eligible for Extended Selection. The specific start date/time for Extended Selection will be published at a later date, and depends on the number of timeslots that are being issued. During Extended Selection, all "rules" in place during regular timeslots that required a roommate group to completely fill a room, suite, apartment, etc., are removed and all rooms become available for any roommate group size, including individuals selecting by themselves. An individual can select an empty double room, and a roommate will be assigned later on, when someone else selects the remaining vacancy.
Please note that selecting an empty double or triple room does not mean you will get the room to yourself. A roommate WILL be assigned at a later date, or you will be consolidated to a different room with a roommate, in a half-filled room of the same room type.
The selection process for Extended Selection in the portal is just like the process during timeslots - just make sure to select the "Extended Selection" option from the drop-down page to be directed to the selection process where the rules are removed.
Other Important General Room Selection Information
- Residents who do not have a roommate(s) will be limited to selecting from a limited selection of building and room type options (see drop down question for "selecting as an individual" above.) If there are no rooms of interest remaining for selection, individuals selecting by themselves can also wait until Extended Selection to select their room.
- The Roommate Groups pages of the Housing Portal will remain open during General Room Selection so that groups can add or remove roommates based on the availability of rooms. Residents are notified if they are removed or added to a group.
- Residents who are eligible to participate in General Room Selection but did not complete the application before the deadline can be added to the Housing Waitlist to be assigned following the Room Selection process. Please email for more information if you missed the Room Selection application deadline.
Extended Selection is part of Room Selection. During regular Room Selection timeslots, residents must fill a unit or a room with confirmed roommates, selected during the Roommate Groups step of the application.
Students selecting by themselves can choose either semi-suite single rooms (limited availability) or will need to wait until Extended Selection to select from remaining double and triple rooms. During Extended Selection, residents can select from any remaining room, even those in multi-bedroom units. Please note that selecting an empty double or triple room during Extended Selection does not mean the student will have the room to themselves - vacancies in half-filled rooms will be filled either by other residents selecting those spaces, consolidations made by Housing Services after Room Selection has ended, by residents applying through the housing waitlist, or through the room change waitlist over the course of the summer and into the fall semester. Learn more about Extended Selection.