Summer housing will be available this Summer 2022 for any enrolled Carnegie Mellon students who have an academic need to be on campus this summer and who require housing for a period equivalent to a summer school session, or the full summer term. Summer assignments will be offered in Apartment Doubles and Apartment Singles within Highlands, Shady Oak, and Neville Apartments, (with overflow accommodations in Donner House and Residence on Fifth, if needed) and will be made based on application date. Students who require a special housing accommodation should mark their housing application appropriately and get in touch with the Office of Disability Resources as noted. The minimum period of time a student can apply for housing is one summer school session.
How to Apply
Apply for Summer Housing
The Summer Housing application will be available starting on April 1, 2022 and will close at noon on May 2, 2022*. The application deadline will NOT be extended after noon on May 2nd. Eligible students should apply through the Housing Portal.
By submitting your Summer Housing application, you agree to all of the Housing Services procedures and policies. It is recommended that you thoroughly read and understand the information provided on this webpage and within the Summer Housing License Agreement. If you have any questions, email Room Assignments or call 412-268-2139.
*After the noon on May 2 application deadline, students who are in need of Summer Housing should email email@example.com to inquire about any remaining availability for the summer term, and accommodations are unlikely.
Summer Housing Dates
- Friday, April 1, 2022: Summer Application opens
- Monday, May 2, 2022 @ noon (12 p.m.): Summer Application Deadline
- Monday, May 2, 2022: Deadline to cancel Summer Housing Application
- Friday, May 13, 2022: Summer Session 1 Only & Full Summer contract begins
- Friday, May 13, 2022 through Sunday, May 22, 2022: Summer Session 1 Only & Full Summer move-overs (For current spring semester residents; Housing Services will notify you of your specific move date, and most moves will occur between May 18 and May 22.)
- Saturday, May 14, 2022: Session Session 1 and Full Summer Move-in (for residents not living in campus housing for the spring semester)
- Tuesday, June 28, 2022 by 12:00 pm: Summer Session 1 Only Move-out
- Friday, July 1, 2022: Summer Session 2 Only Move-in
- Saturday, August 13, 2022 by 12:00 pm: Summer Session 2 Only & Full Summer Move-out** (see note below regarding dates for residents transitioning to Fall 2022 housing)
All residents will receive detailed moving instructions to their Andrew email accounts in advance of their move-in and move-out dates. Current spring residents with submitted summer housing applications are automatically granted extensions after the May 2, 2022 cancellation deadline has passed, and will stay in their spring housing assignment from the end of the spring semester until their designated summer move-in date. Spring residents will NOT have a gap in their housing and will be able to move from your spring assignment directly into their summer assignment as directed by Housing Services in your moving instructions email. Spring residents should not leave campus prior to transitioning to their summer housing assignment, unless they intend to completely vacate their spring assignment and take all belongings with them.
*Applicants who do not currently live in campus housing will move in on Friday, May 13 or Saturday, May 14, 2022. Applicants not currently in campus housing may be required to initially move into a temporary housing accommodation.
**Summer Session 2 Only & Full Summer residents who have a reserved fall assignment will be relocated directly from their summer room to their fall room and will not have a gap in their housing. Please note that your move date may not be on August 13th if your fall building is not yet ready to occupy. Housing Services will confirm your move date with you via email. Summer residents without a fall reserved assignment are expected to move out of their summer accommodations by no later than 12:00 pm on Saturday, August 13, 2022.
Summer Housing Buildings
Interested and eligible applicants should apply via the Housing Portal for either the Full Summer (May 13 - August 13, 2022), Summer Session 1 Only (May 13 - June 28, 2022), or Summer Session 2 Only (July 1 - August 13, 2022).
Update as of April 26, 2022 - Due to unpredendented demand for summer housing, the following changes to buildings and session will be made for Summer 2022.
- For those applying for Full Summer housing:
- Neville, Shady Oak, and Highlands Apartments will be offered to Full Summer applicants only. Priority for spaces in these units will be given to those individuals who are living in campus housing this spring semester and returning to live with us in the fall. Remaining spaces in these buildings will be offered out to the remaining full summer applicants in order of application date.
- For any additional Full Summer applicants that cannot be accommodated in Neville, Shady Oak, or Highlands, overflow Full Summer housing will be offered in Donner House. Please keep in mind that Donner house is not air-conditioned in most rooms, and only has a shared community kitchen area. Rates for those assigned to Donner will be at a discounted rate of $2,392 for the full summer, due to the limited amenities. If this impacts your decision to live in summer housing, you can still cancel your summer application up through May 2nd.
- For those applying for Session 1 Only or Session 2 Only:
- Summer Session 1 Only housing will now be offered in Roselawn Apartments, in Apartment Double and Apartment Single rooms. Roselawn Houses are 5 occupant houses with a shared bathroom, kitchen, and living room area. Roselawn Houses ARE air-conditioned.
- Overflow Summer Session 1 Only housing will be offered as Apartment Doubles in either Clyde House or the Residence on Fifth (both offer air-conditioning and kitchenettes.)
- Summer Session 2 Only housing will now be offered as Apartment Doubles in Residence on Fifth, which offers both air-conditioning and a kitchenette.
Summer housing assignments for Summer Session 1 Only and the Full Summer will be released by no later than the week of May 16, 2022 for those who are in spring housing and who apply before the May 2, 2022 deadline. (Information for students not in campus housing will be sent prior to May 13, 2022.) Summer Session 2 Only assignments will be released by no later than the week of June 27, 2022. Spring residents transitioning into summer housing should not leave campus until they are fully transitioned into their summer housing assignment (or, should completely vacate their spring housing assignment prior to leaving campus, and can then move into their summer assignment upon their return.)
Current spring residents living in a building that will be used for summer housing that wish to stay for the summer must still fill out a Summer Housing Application. Every attempt will be made to keep residents in their current spaces, or within that same building if possible, but is not guaranteed.
All residents who are applying to stay for summer housing should be prepared for the possibility of having to relocate to a different room or building.
Summer housing room rates will be billed to Carnegie Mellon University student accounts only. Charges for session 1 housing will be billed by no later than the week of May 23, 2022. Session 2 housing charges will be billed by no later than the week of July 11, 2022.
Upon move-out, your room must be cleared of all personal belongings and left in a clean condition. Students who fail to leave their room in this manner will be charged a minimum cleaning fee of $200+. If any damage has been incurred, subsequent damage charges will be billed to the student.
Summer Housing room charges are listed below and on the Summer Housing online application for reference.
|Term Session||Term Cost||Building & Room Type|
Any Double in an Apt.
|Full Summer||$3,923||Any Single in an Apt.|
|Fuller Summer||$2,392||Donner traditional double|
|Summer Session 1 Only||$1,546||Any Double in an Apt.|
|Summer Session 1 Only||$1,962||Any Single in an Apt.|
|Summer Session 2 Only||$1,445||
Any Double in an Apt.
|Summer Session 2 Only||$1,834||Any Single in an Apt.|
Students who apply for summer housing are required to sign their Housing License Agreement as part of their application. If you need to cancel the Agreement, you must do so on or before May 2, 2022 for Summer 1 / Full Summer and on or before June 17th for Summer 2 Only. The cancelation form link will be available at the bottom of your summer application in the housing portal. After the deadline you are not permitted to cancel this Agreement unless you receive approval from Housing Services (e.g., in the case you have withdrawn from summer courses), and any approved cancellations will be subject to your payment of a $200 Housing Cancellation Fee, as well as the applicable prorated charges for the period of occupancy (beginning May 11, 2022 for Spring Semester 2022 campus housing students who have elected Summer Session 1 campus housing assignments). If you are not permitted to cancel this Agreement, you understand that you are liable and responsible for the payment of your assigned room charges for the summer session(s) for which you applied.
Terms & Conditions
It is understood and agreed that Carnegie Mellon Housing Services (the University) grants to this applicant (the student) the right, license, and privilege to occupy and use the assigned accommodations for the specified period. The student is subject to the terms and conditions stated in this document and those pertinent rules and regulations detailed in the Summer Housing License Agreement, Housing policies, the Undergraduate Catalog, and any other additional conditions promulgated by the University from time to time. (During the summer it is expected that maintenance work may require the relocation of summer residents.)
The entire occupancy fee shall be payable by the student. Where such prepayment is not feasible, terms for settlement of monies due must be arranged by the student with Enrollment Services (the HUB) prior to the assumption of occupancy. Failure to make such arrangements may result in denial of residence. All students with a student account at the University will have their accounts charged for summer occupancy.
Violation by the student of the terms and conditions stated herein or those of the previously cited sources will result in whatever disciplinary and punitive action the University feels is reasonable and warranted.
By submitting an application for summer housing, students agree that they have read and will abide by all the information and policies outlined above and any others published to them by the University or Housing Services during their stay.