Carnegie Mellon University

Greek Policies

All students living in Greek Housing facilities must understand and adhere to the following Greek policies. Unless otherwise noted in the Greek Housing policies, students are expected to follow Housing policies.

While access to the Facility is provided to Residents through Carnegie Mellon, the Greek Organization is responsible for assisting with this process through submission of current rosters of Residents to Housing Services by the dates specified within the Greek Deadlines.

In addition, each semester, Housing Services will provide master access to the House Manager and one other representative of the Greek Organization designated by the House Manager that is a Resident of the Facility. This master access will be reactivated by Housing Services each semester.

During the summer semesters, the designated House Manager will have master key access for one week only at the beginning and end of the summer semester. The Greek Housing Policies will maintain the calendar of which week will be granted to the House Manager.

The Greek Organization’s Residents will also have access to the main entrances of the Facility. The Greek Organization is responsible for assisting with this process through submission of current rosters of Residents to Housing Services by the dates specified on the Greek Housing Polices.

  • Master key access is placed on the CMU ID card of the two designated master key holders listed on the submitted roster.
  • Member key access is placed on the CMU ID card of all members listed on the submitted roster. Member key access is for non-residents and grants access to the front door(s) of the house.
  • Resident key access is placed on the CMU ID card of all residents, who will have access to the main door(s) of the house as well as the assigned room per the roster.
  • Cooks in houses with commercial kitchens must obtain a Sponsored ID card through the CMU Card ID Office, with the assistance of the Greek Team. Cooks will have access to kitchen spaces and the main door(s) of the house.
  • Advisors listed on the Greek Life advisor roster may request an advisor card from Housing Services. Advisors will have access to the main door(s) of the house.
      • The chapter will be charged $5 per card for any first-time issued cards
      • The chapter will be charged $25 for any replacement card.
      • The chapter may transfer ownership of the card from one advisor to another at no cost.
      • Chapters will request new or replacement cards from Housing Services, which will be confirmed with SLICE. Any associated costs will be charged to the chapter via the Greek Funds Account maintained by Housing Services. 
  • Replacement of damaged or lost metal keys issued will be charged a fee of $150 or more, depending on the area.
  • The Greek Organization may not access the mechanical rooms (electrical, plumbing, data/telecommunications closet, etc.) or roof areas of the Facility (roof access panels are locked by Carnegie Mellon and may not be opened by the Greek Organization for any reason).
  • For more information on access, visit our access website.

Routine Cleaning

  • Each house gets cleaned twice a week for a total of 16 personnel hours. Bathrooms are always cleaned twice a week. All common areas, stairwells, basements (if applicable) are also cleaned twice a week. This cleaning includes vacuuming and mopping, wiping fixtures and surfaces, and trash removal. Project work will be completed as needed throughout the semester.
  • Kitchen cleaning is the chapter’s responsibility.
  • Individual student rooms are the residents’ responsibility. Requests for cleaning individual rooms during the academic year will be completed as a CNCBL. Requests for cleaning individual rooms following the spring semester must be submitted by the date outlined within the Greek Deadlines Information; all personal items must be removed from the room in order for cleaning to be completed.
  • Chapters also need to maintain a basic level of cleanliness on their own throughout the house.
  • The Facility Staff Member will visit each house on a weekly basis to inspect the cleaning and general maintenance of the house. If any violations or concerns are found, the House Manager will be notified and the house will be charged if applicable as CNCBL.

Maintenance Requests

  • All non-emergency requests for maintenance should be submitted as an online maintenance request; students are responsible for submitting requests for their individual rooms and only the House Manager may submit requests for the common areas.
  • When submitting a request, please be as detailed as possible.
  • The target time frame for all daily service maintenance requests is seven working days except during high volume periods (move-in, move-out, etc.). If a maintenance request is not addressed in that time frame, residents should contact Housing Services to check on the progress of the request in the system.
  • In the case of an emergency, such as a breakdown of an essential service (plumbing, lighting, heating, lock, etc.) or a problem that threatens health and safety, it is important to report the problem quickly. For emergency maintenance during office hours, call Housing Services at 412-268-2139. When the office is closed, call the Service Response Center at 412-268-2910. Emergencies will be addressed immediately. Less severe maintenance problems may be resolved within 24 hours.

Patios and Storage

  • Patios must be free of debris and construction materials, with an exception period during Spring Carnival.
    • Chapters will be permitted to keep materials on their patios from two days prior Move-In until the day in which Tear-Down is complete.
    • Materials may not block any doors or egress routes.
    • Any items left on patios will be removed at the chapters expense.
    • Greek Quad orgs will be given garage space to use as storage. Chapters are responsible for cleaning and securing these facilities, as well as any maintenance requests associated therein.
    • Margaret Morrison Houses will be permitted to use the Greek Cage storage in the East Campus garage under the discretion of SLICE
    • Chapters with storage areas (shops, exterior storage, storage rooms, etc.) must keep these areas maintained, and follow all applicable shop management, equipment and chemical registration requirements set forth by CMU Environmental Health and Safety.


  • The furniture in leased houses is the property of the Greek organization. Housing Services cannot respond to maintenance requests in relation to the furniture.
  • Furniture in HLA facilities is maintained by Housing Services and may not be removed or discarded.
  • Closet doors in rooms and apartments cannot be removed.
  • All residents of a room or apartment are equally responsible for the accommodation and its furnishings. At the end of each academic year, any damages to a room will be charged to the occupants of that room. If the costs incurred cannot be recouped by the individual students, the chapter will be responsible for all damages.


  • Requests to paint areas of a house should be directed to the Housing Services Facility Coordinator through the Paint Request Form.
  • All requests must receive written approval from the Housing Services Facility Coordinator before painting can commence.
  • Approved requests may be completed by the Greek organization or by Housing Services.
    • Work done by the chapter will be inspected upon completion to ensure it meets the standards of Housing Services.
    • Work completed by Housing Services will be billed to the chapter.
    • No dark colors are permitted.

Alterations to House

  • No changes can be made to the structure or infrastructure of the House without written approval from the Housing Services Facility Coordinator.

Exterior Furnishings and Signage

  • Chapters are permitted to outfit their patios with furniture approved by Housing Services.
  • Signage on the exterior of the building is limited to one large set of letters for both Greek areas, and one small coat of arms for the Greek Quad, all of which must be approved by the SLICE Office and Housing Services.
  • Chapters are permitted to hang temporary signage and large wood letters for Orientation Week until the conclusion of the third week of classes in the fall semester.
  • Chapters may also utilize temporary signage throughout the year with approval of SLICE and Housing Services.

Air Conditioners

  • Residents are permitted to install personal air conditioners in individual rooms.
  • Installation must by done in a safe and secure manner, using only plexiglass (no wood, cardboard, etc.).
  • Residents may request for installation to be completed by Housing Services as a CNCBL.
  • Improperly installed units will be removed or reinstalled by Housing Services as a CNCBL.
  • Carnegie Mellon reserves the right for authorized representatives of Carnegie Mellon to enter the facility at any time to plan or perform maintenance, whenever it determines a clear and present danger exists, or whenever Carnegie Mellon’s policies, rules, or regulations require or authorize such entrance (for example, Carnegie Mellon and/or its authorized representatives, including Carnegie Mellon security personnel, may enter the public areas of the facility at any time to determine whether any laws or Carnegie Mellon policies, rules, or regulations are being violated therein).
  • Whenever possible and appropriate, entry into individual resident rooms will be announced 24 hours in advance (however, Carnegie Mellon reserves the right to enter resident rooms in the Facility whenever a clear and present danger or violation of Carnegie Mellon policies, rules, or regulations is believed by Carnegie Mellon to be occurring, or whenever Carnegie Mellon’s policies, rules, or regulations require or authorize such entrance).
  • Should a resident request a repair to a resident’s room through the maintenance request process (i.e., Housing Services work order system), the request is deemed to be an acknowledgement by and agreement of the resident that a Carnegie Mellon staff member may enter a resident’s room in the future to address the outstanding repair.
  • Housing Services and/or SLICE staff will enter the facility unannounced to inspect the facility from time to time; however; whenever possible or appropriate, the staff will coordinate in advance with the House Manager.
  • At least twice per academic year, both Housing Services and the Greek Team will visit each house to complete inspections. These inspections will address any health and safety violations, as well as any facility-related issues.

Regardless of the amount listed, all residence must sign the Greek Financial Signover Form.

The total sum of money collected through the signover form must equal the rent assessed to the chapter; no additional monies may be collected via the Greek Financial Signover Form.

  • The initial annual rent for the Facility at the commencement of the Term is $257,325 (or $128,656 in the case of a Margaret Morrison Facility). The annual rent will increase annually effective as of each subsequent July 1 during the Term.
  • Effective July 1, 2018, the annual rent is $270,192 (or $135,089 in the case of a Margaret Morrison Facility)
  • Effective July 1, 2019, the annual rent is $283,701 (or $141,843 in the case of a Margaret Morrison Facility).

Carnegie Mellon will assess the Greek Organization’s account for the annual rent in two equal installments (and which, together, total the annual rent for the Facility for the year) in August and December of each year.

Except as indicated above or as otherwise provided in the policies, rules, and regulations of Carnegie Mellon and/or Housing Services, Carnegie Mellon will not otherwise cancel or modify a Greek Financial Sign-Over Form without written authorization from the House Manger, President, or Treasurer.

In cases where a Resident and/or Member disputes charges that have already been assessed to his or her Carnegie Mellon student account through a Greek Financial Sign-Over Form, or when the Greek Organization has difficulty collecting money owed which has not been assessed through Carnegie Mellon, Housing Services will make a referral to the SLICE Office to assist the disputing parties in finding resolution. Only the SLICE Office may direct Housing Services to process a refund from a disputed charge.

Cost Not Covered by Lease (CNCBL)

  • CNCBL is a charge determined by Housing Services for a service provided beyond those laid out in the Greek Lease and Greek Housing Policy (ex: additional cleaning, A/C install, etc) or damage to the facility (ex: hole in wall, stains, etc).
  • Housing Services will charge the Chapter as CNCBL. Houses on HLAs will have charges split evenly amongst all residents.
  • If the Chapter wishes to charge an individual or group of individuals for the CNCBL, they should do so via a sign-over form.

Failure to pay in full any unpaid delinquent balance after March 1 of each year will result in Carnegie Mellon directly billing each Resident an equal share (based on each Resident’s pro rata share, unless a greater amount is otherwise specified in this Lease or required by the policies, rules, and regulations of Carnegie Mellon and/or Housing Services) of the balance directly to the Residents’ Carnegie Mellon student account (refer to the Greek Financial Sign-Over Form).

The Greek Organization is not permitted to “roll-over” debt, and the Greek Organization’s account must be paid in full according to the monthly invoices. Should such a delinquency occur, in addition to any other right afforded to Carnegie Mellon (i) the Facility will be closed for the summer/summer semesters immediately following the said delinquency, and (ii) this Lease may, at Carnegie Mellon’s option, be terminated by written notice to the Greek Organization.

Smoke Detectors

  • The city of Pittsburgh, the Allegheny County Health Department, and Carnegie Mellon University require that there be one operational smoke detector in each sleeping area. In residential buildings, this means one functional smoke detector per room.
  • Tampering with, disabling, removing, or covering smoke detectors will result in a $200 fine assessed to either the room residents in the case of a bedroom or to the chapter in the case of a common area.
  • Housing Services will replace detectors where they are missing as a CNCBL.
  • Housing Services will replace all smoke detector batteries during the summer months.

Safety Hazards

  • The occupation, alteration, or use of university facilities that create a fire or safety hazard (potential or actual), a dangerous situation to individuals or others, or a threat to university property is a violation of university regulations and the individual responsible is subject to appropriate disciplinary action.
  • No use of explosive or incendiary materials on university property in connection with programs or activities may take place without the explicit permission of the Associate Dean of Student Affairs and the Director of Environmental Health and Safety or their designated representatives.
  • Due to fire-safety hazards, residents are not permitted to leave furniture or any other obstructions in hallway corridors. Residents or organizations will incur a penalty fee of $200 for each violation of the fire-safety guidelines.
  • Any costs associated with fire, health, and safety violations are the responsibility of the Greek organization.

Utility Lines

  • No wire may be strung outside any living unit or any alterations made to any university residential building without the expressed permission of Housing Services. This includes lights, satellite dishes, radio, and television aerials.
  • No student or Greek organization may tap into utility lines, antenna wires, or cable lines, in either residential facilities or campus buildings, without the expressed permission of Housing Services and/or Facilities Management Services.

Greek organizations must procure and maintain commercial general liability insurance as outlined in Addendum I of the Greek Housing Lease, which among other stipulations, requires the following:

  • $1,000,000 Each Occurrence
  • $2,000,000 General Aggregate
  • $1,000,000 Products-Completed
  • $1,000,000 Personal & Adv. Inj.
  • $100,000 Damage to Premises Rented to You
  • (Fire Legal Liability)

Greek organizations which operate a commercial kitchen must procure and maintain worker’s compensation and employer liability insurance for their cook.

When requested, Greek organizations must provide proof of valid and updated insurance.

Meal Plan Changes

  • Students joining a Greek organization that has a dining plan (commercial kitchen) and who are moving into Greek housing may be permitted to cancel their dining plan and receive a prorated refund. For policies and dates specific to the fall and spring semesters, see Dining Plan Changes. To cancel their dining plan, Greek students must return a completed Dining Plan Change Form, financial sign-over form for the dining plan, and signed documentation of the move on the Greek organization letterhead to be verified and approved by the Dining Services office.
  • Students who join a Greek organization that has a dining plan (commercial kitchen) but remain in non-Greek housing may reduce their dining plan the week following the formal recruitment period to a yellow plan and receive a prorated refund. To reduce their dining plan, participants must return a completed Dining Plan Change Form, financial sign-over form for the meal plan, and signed documentation of the membership on the Greek organization letterhead to be verified and approved by the Dining Services office.
  • Students joining a Greek organization without a dining plan (commercial kitchen) are not permitted to reduce their dining plan.
  • When a student joins a Greek organization, changes will be made in accordance with other Carnegie Mellon University policies and the terms of the dining agreement.

Commercial Kitchen Certification

  • All fraternity or sorority cooks must be certified. Details on how a cook can be certified are available on the Allegheny County Health Department website and by consulting your Facility Staff Member.
  • Cooks must renew their certification every three years, and verification must be provided to Housing Services.
  • Proof of Cook Certification and Workers’ Compensation Insurance coverage are due to the Housing Services Office by the date outlined within the Greek Deadlines Information.
  • All cooks must provide verification that they have passed appropriate criminal background checks.
  • Kitchen permits must be renewed annually, and verification provided to Housing Services.
  • Failure to comply with these standards will result in the immediate closure of the kitchen.

Dish Machine Chemicals

  • Housing Services will maintain a supply of chemicals for the kitchen dish machines at the Facility, and will provide reasonable quantities of the chemicals to the Greek Organization as needed and/or as determined by Housing Services and the Greek Organization.
  • Due to Carnegie Mellon’s contractual obligations with the equipment supplier, chemicals provided by Housing Services are the only chemicals which may be used in the kitchen dishwashers at the Facility.
  • The Greek Organization will be provided with these chemicals at the start of each semester.

Closing of Commercial Kitchens Over Breaks

  • Unless approved to remain open by Housing Services, commercial kitchens will be closed on the last day of classes before winter break and by commencement day before summer break.
  • If a certified cook is not present during one of these breaks, the gas supply will be shut off.

Grease Barrels

  • Each house with a commercial kitchen is provided with two 55-gallon drums placed in an outdoor storage shed at the rear of the building.
  • The barrels are provided for the disposal of cooking oil from the kitchen fryers and should only be used for this purpose.
  • Pick up for recycling of the grease is done through an outside contractor supervised by Environmental Health and Safety on a routine basis.
  • Disposal of grease through patio drains or any interior floor drains causes problems and the cost of cleaning drains where there is evidence of grease being disposed of in this way will be passed onto the house as a CNCBL.

Trash Removal

  • The University will provide trash containers for garbage collection and recycle containers near each Facility. Construction materials and furniture should not be placed in trash containers.
  • For residents of the Greek Quad any large items (couches, mattresses, etc.) must be placed in the trash container between 1085 and 1091 Morewood Ave. Residents of the Margaret Morrison Greek Quad should use the large trash container behind Donner House.

Facilities on the Greek Quad must maintain minimum occupancy of 28 and a maximum occupancy of 32. Facilities located at 101-105 Margaret Morrison Quad must maintain a minimum occupancy of 14 and a maximum occupancy of 16. The facility located at 134 Margaret Morrison Quad must maintain an occupancy of 8.

Only students in good standing with Carnegie Mellon University who are members of the Greek organization are permitted to reside in the facility who, as a condition of residence in the facility, sign a completed Greek Financial Sign-Over Form each fall and spring semester (and, when applicable, each summer semester), committing the student to pay any fees and other amounts indicated therein and to abide by the policies, rules, and regulations of Carnegie Mellon, including the Greek Housing Policies (the “Resident Requirement”).

The Greek organization may accommodate guests and visitors (i.e., invitees) of Residents at the Facility for periods of less than three consecutive days, or more than three consecutive days with the prior written approval of both the SLICE Office and Housing Services.

Except as specified in the foregoing, no one other than Residents may reside at the Facility at any time. The Greek Organization and its Residents may not have subtenants or boarders at the Facility.

Organizations failing to meet the minimum occupancy will be held accountable via the following guidelines:

  • Within the current lease period, the first semester in which a house is below occupancy, chapter leadership must meet with representatives from Housing Services and SLICE to discuss the issue and how the organization will ensure occupancy moving forward.
  • Within the current lease period, the second semester in which a house is below occupancy, the preceding outcomes will be applied and the house will be closed for the winter and summer breaks. In addition, written notification will be sent to the organization's Headquarters.
  • Within the current lease period, the third semester in which a house is below occupancy, the preceding outcomes will be applied and the chapter may be removed from the facility. In addition, written notification will be sent to the organization's Headquarters.

If it is determined that an organization has misrepresented the number of residents on their roster in order to meet the minimum occupancy requirement, they will be held accountable to the aforementioned guidelines, and the possibility of additional fees or sanctions will be considered by Housing Services.

The chapter must designate one individual to serve as the House Manager. This individual will be responsible for:

  • Reading, understanding, and ensuring chapter compliance with all applicable policies, procedures, deadlines, and documentation associated with Greek Housing.
  • Maintaining regular communication with the Housing Services Facilities Coordinator assigned to the building. This includes a weekly meeting with the Facilities Coordinator during the fall and spring semesters.
  • Submitting all common area maintenance requests on behalf of the chapter.
  • Attending any House Manager trainings or meetings.
  • Communicate damages and problems to Facility Coordinators.
  • Maintain accountability for cleanliness among residents and guests.
  • Relay messages from Facilities and Housing Services to residents.
  • Submitting resident and member rosters per the posted deadlines and/or informing Housing Services of assignment changes within the house.
  • Organizations must provide a current roster of its members in the fall and spring semesters by the dates specified within the Greek Deadlines.  Residents must confirm their Greek assignment by the designated date in order for it to considered completely submitted. 
  • A $250 late fee will be assessed to organizations who fail to meet the deadline for submitting updated rosters.
  • Campus housing residents who are released from their housing contracts (per the guidelines stated within the Greek lease) will still be held responsible for paying the $400 or $200 housing cancellation fee if the cancellation is approved and requested after the Open Cancellation period deadline, even if that resident is replacing a Greek resident who is moving in campus housing.

Greek facilities that wish to remain open during the summer period must have a minimum of five residents (who must be members of the Greek organization) occupying the facility at all times. If your facility drops below the five resident minimum at any time after the official Summer roster submission date, it will be at the discretion of CMU Housing whether to shut down the house for the remainder of the Summer and/or to restrict the organization from remaining open during subsequent Summer sessions. Greek residents whose building has been closed under these conditions will be responsible for finding their own accommodations.

Access to any facility deemed closed for the summer will not be permitted. Only approved residents (listed on the summer roster submitted to Housing Services) are permitted to occupy houses that are open for the summer. Non-residents will not be given access to the facility.

Window Screens

Students are not permitted to remove screens from their windows. Missing screens or screens that have been removed from windows will be reinstalled at the students’ expense. Maintenance requests should be submitted online for screens that become dislodged or are missing.


The use of rooftops and parapets are strictly prohibited. Any student found on the roof, no matter the circumstances, will be disciplined accordingly.