Carnegie Mellon University

First year students are required to live on campus.

As an admitted first year student, you can begin the housing application once it becomes available, your admissions deposit has been processed by the University, and you have activated your Andrew account. (You should submit your dining application at the same time as your housing application.)

How to Apply

All first-year students must submit the online Housing Application and Housing License Agreement. First-year students who were admitted off of the admissions waitlist should submit the Housing Application and Housing License Agreement as soon as they have accepted their admission.

Before you start the application, make yourself familiar with our first year housing options and set up your Andrew ID pages.

Residents who are under the age of 18 when completing the application will need to submit a paper Housing License Agreement (which can be printed out once you get to that step in the housing application) signed by a parent or guardian. Be sure to allow extra time before the application deadline to submit this paperwork.

Housing applications are not complete until a signed Housing License Agreement is received by Housing Services and you have received a confirmation email. Once your application is complete, you will no longer be able to make changes to your application, so make sure that your requests and preferences are final before submitting your agreement.

Setting up your Andrew ID

In order to apply for housing, incoming students need to activate their Andrew ID. Follow these steps to set up your Andrew account:

  1. Obtain your Andrew ID via the Enrollment Services website.
  2. Set up your Andrew account password by selecting ‘protect your account’ on the Computing Services website.
  3. Log into the housing application to begin.

Housing Application Tutorial

When you first log into the Housing portal to apply for housing, you will see your “Classification” listed in the left-hand menu. All first-year students — whether a traditional first year or a CFA transfer — should see the “New First-Year” classification. If you see a different classification listed, please email us.