When you live in campus housing, a number of amenities are available to make your home away from home as comfortable and accomodating as possible.
Bicycle racks are provided in residential areas where appropriate. Please be sure to register your bicycle with CMU Campus Police and read our "housing policy — bicycles" section.
The Carnegie Mellon Bookstore is partnering with the Student Dormitory Council and Bed, Bath, and Beyond to offer a full line of linens (designed to fit extra long mattresses), comforters, towels, blankets, and many Carnegie Mellon supplies to make your move-in transition smooth and effortless. Order by August 1 to ensure your selections and to be delivered to your room before your arrival.
Routine maintenance is performed on all buildings. Each building has a facility coordinator who is responsible for its condition. Our maintenance request system permits students to report building deficiencies, damages and other problems from any computer. Students can also track their maintenance requests online. Damages by students may result in extra charges.
Offered by myMicroFridge, housing residents can rent microwave/refrigerator combination units that meet the university's specifications and are delivered and picked-up directly to and from your residence hall room.
Personal Property Insurance
Housing rates do not cover personal properties. Students should consider getting their own personal property insurance. National Student Services Inc. has been providing renter's insurance to Carnegie Mellon students for years. Get a quote through NSSI's website for full information on pricing or coverage. The university does not assume liability under any circumstances for a student's personal property, and students are strongly encouraged to have some form of personal property insurance.
Parking and Transportation Services
Parking and Transportation Services provides leased parking spaces around the campus and transportation resources to the university community.
Postal services is available in the University Post Office which is located in the basement of the Jared L. Cohon University Center.
Recycling and Refuse
All university-owned residences are set up to accommodate and encourage recycling. Recycling and garbage pickup are covered in the housing rates.
University Police patrols the campus 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The dispatcher on duty can be reached at 412-268-2323. For more information, please refer to The Word website. Emergency call boxes are located at various locations across campus, which provide a direct line to University Police. For residences with desk services, assistance may be obtained there. All department staff members are committed to ensuring a safe and secure environment for its residents. Students are instrumental in this effort and are encouraged to become familiar with safety practices and safety-related policies.
Shuttle and Escort Services
Residential Storage areas will be open for current students to pick up their items on the following schedule:
- Friday, August 10, 2018: 9PM-10PM (Morewood Gardens only)
- Monday, August 13, 2018: 9PM-10PM (Morewood Gardens, Donner, Stever, and Mudge)
- Saturday, August 25, 2018: 8PM-10PM (Morewood Gardens, Donner, Stever, and Mudge)
- Sunday, August 26, 2019: 1PM-3PM and 8PM-10PM (Morewood Gardens, Donner, Stever, and Mudge)
Storage for Summer 2018 will be limited, as we are moving towards an off-campus model in the coming year. Storage will still be available in three spaces on campus: Morewood Gardens, Donner, and Mudge. Should you store items on campus, pick-up times in August 2018 will also be very limited. Please plan accordingly and do not assume you will be able to retrieve your items immediately upon arrival on campus.
- Storage will be available through an application process through Housing, and will be handled on a first come, first served basis. Details about this process will be made available during the Spring 2018 semester.
- Students can store up to 3 boxes (20”x20”x20”) but no large items such as bicycles, vacuums, rugs, etc.
- CMU is not liable for damages, so students should plan to have renter’s insurance prior to storing items.
Off-Campus Moving and Storage Services
- College Boxes – Through partnerships with U-Haul and Moving Help, they offer a range of moving services, storage, boxes, packing supplies, and storage containers.
- Dorm Room Movers – They provide packing supplies, in-room pickup and delivery and summer storage. Pricing is based on size, weight and number of items.
- Guardian Storage – Options in Bloomfield and Shadyside. They offer self-storage units and lockers. Pricing is on a monthly basis dependent on the size of the storage room.
- STORExpress - This vendor offers free pick-up and month to month storage options.
- Compass Self-Storage - This company offers climate-controlled storage in lockers, and is able to rent moving trucks to students.