How to Print in Dietrich from a Non-Andrew Windows PC
In order to setup an Dietrich printer on a PC that is not a member of the ANDREW domain, you must perform the following. This procedure sets up your computer to reconnect and authenticate to the printer resources on the HSSCOMP print server.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org and state that you will need permission to print and which department you are associated with, as well as your Andrew ID
- On your Windows XP Pro or Vista Enterprise and above computer:
- Right-click "My Computer" and choose "Map Network Drive"
- Set the drive letter to whatever you like (we like Z:)
- Set the folder to be: \\hsscomp.hss.cmu.edu\hsscomp
- Place a check in the box for "Reconnect at Logon"
- Click "Connect Using a Different Username"
- Type "andrew\YOURUSERID" where YOURUSERID is your AndrewID
- Type your Active Directory password and click "Ok", then click "Finish"
- Add the printer queue:
- Click "Start", then "Run", and type: \\hsscomp.hss.cmu.edu
- Double click on the desired printer queue to add it
The name of the printer can be found on a white label attached to the printer.
Note: Since the "Reconnect at Logon" setting is not always reliable, you may occasionally find it necessary to double-click the mapped network drive to HSSCOMP to elicit the username/password dialog box and relog in before printing.