Careers and Placement for Rhetoric Masters Graduates
Graduates pursue a range of academic and professional careers after earning our M.A. degree in Rhetoric.
Examples of recent placement for CMU English M.A. students in Rhetoric include:
- Pursuing Ph.D. programs at a variety of prestigious universities.
- Professional careers in marketing, business, nonprofits, and publishing.
- Teaching in secondary institutions and community colleges.
Alumni Spotlight: Emily Mooney
Class of 2015, The Carter Center (Atlanta, Georgia)
"The reputation and integrity of Carnegie Mellon's name is certainly a conversation starter in interview positions and proving you're worth a second look in what can sometimes be a difficult job market. I'm not sure I could name classes that made a difference; rather, it was the environment of the graduate program itself. To be expected to write quality material and thought under such high stakes prepared me for the grant writing and demanding communications world. I credit CMU with helping me to become a stronger writer, become more cognizant of the nuances in persuasive writing, and allowing me to study something I still find deeply interesting."
Graduate School Destinations (2009-2019)
- Carnegie Mellon University
- University of Buffalo
- Indiana University
- Lancaster University
- Univeristy of Utah
- Texas Christian University
- Pennsylvania State University
- University of Minnesota
- Kent State University
- University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
- University of Pittsburgh
- North Carolina State University
- University of Texas at Austin
- University of California, Berkeley
Recent Jobs (2009 - 2019)
- Development and Communications Coordinator, Meta Mesh Wireless Communities
- Foundation Relations Manager, Corporate Accountability
- Program Manager, BloomBoard, Inc.
- Strategic Communications Specialist, Ripple Effect Communications, Inc.
- Tableau Public Marketing Coordinator, Tableau Software
- Full-Time Lecturer, Rutgers University
- Communication Specialist, UPMC
- Director of Communications, Rice 360° Institute for Global Health
- Strategic Planner, Institute for Information Industry
- Experimental Humanities Web Developer, Bard College
- Plain Language Writer, Health Literacy Media
- Senior Communications Specialist, Children's Hospital Colorado
- English Instructor, Community College of Allegheny County
- ESL Instructor, Duquesne University
- Insider Threat Researcher & Certified Information Privacy Technologist, Carnegie Mellon University
- Communications Manager, KeyLogic Systems supporting NETL
- Customer Service Lead, The OPAL Group
- Middle School English Teacher, Seattle Academy of Arts & Sciences
- Enrichment Instructor & Tutor, Boston Educational Institute
- Director of Corporate Marketing, Industrial Scientific
- AVP of HR Business Partner Associate/Customer Care Center, PNC
- Communications Coordinator, Darul Qasim
- Community Development Worker, LBGT Health + Wellbeing
- Manager, Novantas
- Proposal and Capture Strategist, Palantir Technologies
- Digital and Social Media Strategist, Yale University
- Intervention Specialist, Citizens Leadership Academy