Undergraduate Application Requirements
All applicants who wish to be considered for any major degree program offered by the School of Music must complete their Carnegie Mellon University and School of Music applications by December 1 (Regular Decision):
- Submit the Common Application and all other required supporting materials to the Office of Admission.
*please note that applicants to School of Music programs do not need to complete a SlideRoom Art Supplement.
- Indicate one of four options on Section IV of the Common Application Supplement:
- Eletronic Music
- Music & Technology
- Please note: BXA only becomes available as an application option once you have selected an Arts area as one of your two major selections.
- Complete the School of Music Online Application and pay the $50.00 fee.
- Review and follow the Audition/Portfolio Requirements for your specific program choice.
Applicants are notified of their audition or portfolio review results in writing only after all auditions and reviews are finished. If the result is favorable, the School of Music will recommend acceptance to the Office of Admission, and the Office of Admission will determine if the student’s academic records meet the standards of Carnegie Mellon. If the audition or portfolio review result is not favorable, the applicant will not be admitted to the School of Music, but could be admitted to Carnegie Mellon through an existing application to another school of study.
- Bachelor of Humanities and Arts (BHA)
- Bachelor of Science and Arts (BSA)
- Bachelor of Computer Science and Arts (BCSA)
- Bachelor of Engineering Studies and Arts (BESA)
Students interested in music may select from four options in the School of Music when applying to a BXA program:
- Music Performance (instrumental, piano, voice): Follow the audition/portfolio guidelines for your area and request an audition date.
- Music Composition: Follow the audition/portfolio guidelines for your area and request a portfolio review.
- Musicology: Submit the required supporting documents.
- Music Technology: Submit a technology portfolio following the Music & Technology guidelines.
An audition is required for admission to the music performance option, and an interview/portfolio review is required for admission to the music composition or technology option. Musicology applicants will submit their portfolio requirements; there is no live interview option.