Prep School FAQs
Below are answers to questions frequently asked by our students and their families. If you have any additional questions please contact us at 412-268-3667.
When does the next semester begin?
- Fall 2023 Classes every Saturday, August 26, 2023, through Saturday, December 16, 2023.
- Spring 2024 Classes every Saturday, January 13, 2024, through Saturday, May 4, 2024.
- Summer 2024 Classes every Saturday, May 11, 2024, through Saturday, July 27, 2024.
Does the Prep School cancel for snow and other inclement weather?
An important note for the Spring semester: The Prep School rarely cancels classes due to snow. In general, we only cancel in cases of EXTREME winter storms. It is possible that your private teacher will cancel lessons even if the Prep School remains open. If that happens, they will contact you directly and will inform you of any make-up lessons.
In the event of an extreme storm that warrants closing the Prep School, we will email all families of the closure as soon as we are able, will post the information on our home page: https://www.cmu.edu/cfa/music/preparatory-summer-programs/preparatory-school/index.html and will post on local news station WTAE (and their website).
For any questions regarding classes or lessons, feel free to contact the Prep School office at 412-268-3667.
How are students admitted to the Music Preparatory School?
How do I register?
When is tuition due?
Can I sign up for extra lessons?
Are there any discounts available?
- Family Discount: When 2 or more siblings enroll for private lessons, a 5 percent discount is applied to the overall tuition.
- Double Major Discount: When a student enrolls in two different programs (e.g. piano and string lessons), a 15 percent discount is applied to the overall tuition.
- CMU Faculty/Staff Discount: When 1 or both parent/guardian(s) are current CMU Faculty or Staff members, a 10% discount is applied to overall tuition.
What is the attendance policy?
We expect students to attend all scheduled sessions. If a student misses a private lesson, the instructor is under no obligation to reschedule. The instructor will reschedule lessons missed due to instructor illness or professional engagements. Please inform instructors of any travel plans or other conflicts as early as you can to facilitate rescheduling, if necessary.
Are refunds available?
Beginning Piano: Students who are unable to continue their participation in the Beginning Piano Program due to illness, relocation or other extenuating circumstances (at the discretion of the Preparatory School), will receive a pro-rated refund of their tuition less a $50 cancellation fee.
Private lessons: Students who discontinue their private lessons during the semester will receive a refund on a pro-rated basis from the point at which they notify the Preparatory School office that they will no longer take lessons.
Where are we located?
We conduct lessons and classes on the Carnegie Mellon University campus:
• Private lessons and elective classes in the College of Fine Arts (CFA) and Hall of the Arts (HOA)
• Eurhythmics classes are held in Margaret Morrison Carnegie Hall (MM)