Part-time Commuter Option
Pre-College Music immerses high school students in a world-class conservatory experience within an internationally recognized university.
Our intensive part-time six-week summer program models the curriculum of a first-year undergraduate student in the Carnegie Mellon School of Music. You get to live the life of a music major, discover your potential for a career in music, take conservatory-style music classes, and perform with other students from all over the world.
Through the Commuter: Part-time Option, local Pittsburgh students have the opportunity to be part of this innovative fine arts community as they expand and maintain their musical study over the summer.
Each week, part-time students participate in:
- One 60-minute private lesson
- One elective course
- Performing ensembles
Students may add additional electives & lessons.
Program Dates and Registration Fees
- Full Session: July 5–August 12, 2022
- Session A: July 5–July 23, 2022*
- Session B: July 25–August 12, 2022*
*3-week participation is available, but we encourage students to register for the 6-week program if possible, which offers the deepest experience. Session B is a continuation of the Session A curriculum, not a repeat.
Part-time Commuter students do not typically attend every day during the week. Schedules depend on the student's chosen elective(s) and ensemble(s). (See the Weekly Schedule.) Weekly private lessons are scheduled individually between the student and teacher.
Other Important Dates
- Music Student Orientation (all sessions): July 2, 2022, at 3:30pm
- Instrumental placement auditions (all sessions): July 3, 2022 at 10:30am
- Ensemble Performances
- Wind Ensemble and Jazz Ensemble: July 23, 2022, at 3:30pm
- Concert Week: August 8–12, 2022 (see the Concert and Events Calendar)
2022 Registration Fees
The Part-time Commuter Registration includes private lessons, one elective course, and any/all performing ensembles.
|3 weeks||6 weeks|
|Part-time Commuter Registration||$700||$1200|
|Additional Elective Courses||$400||$690|
|Minor Studio Lessons*||
*Introductory or advanced lessons, 60 minutes per week.
†Voice lessons, which include an additional 30-minute coaching with accompanist per week.
Students with limited availability may enroll in ensembles only (by special permission).
|3 weeks||6 weeks|
|Ensemble Registration Only||
Eligibility and Application Requirements
- In order to be eligible as a commuter student, the parent or legal guardian must have a permanent residence within approximately 30 miles of campus or within Allegheny County. Families who relocate temporarily to the Pittsburgh area are not eligible for commuter status. There are no exceptions to this policy.
- While students as young as thirteen have been welcomed to the program as Part-time Commuters, the admittance of students who have not yet completed 10th grade is at the discretion of the program director, who can be contacted via email for more info.
- All students must have a strong interest in music.
- Admission is by invitation or audition only for Commuter: Part-time students. Applicants must email an audio recording of a solo representative of your level of performance (vocal/instrumental applicants), scores of recent original compositions (composition applicants), or representative works (music technology/electronic music applicants). Please include a summary or résumé of your musical training and accomplishments. These materials can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Auditions are waived for members of PYSO, TRYPO, RCYBB, WYSO, PYCO, and past Pre-College students.
- The application fee is waived for Commuter: Part-time applicants.
How to Apply
- Navigate to the Pre-College Programs Application and log in or register for an account
- If you are a new user, you will need to activate the account by verifying your email address.
- Start a new application
- Review the Application Instructions and confirm your agreement. Important notes for Part-time Commuter applications include:
- Deadlines: The Part-time Commuter Option does not follow the same deadlines as the full-time applications. Admission is rolling until the program is filled.
- Application Fee: The Part-time Commuter Option does not require an application fee.
- Letters of Recommendation: The Part-time Commuter Option does not require letters of recommendation.
- Scholarships: Students requesting scholarships should email the music program director. Part-time Commuter applicants do not submit financial information via the online application.
- Submit your Personal Information.
- Submit your Program Selection. Part-time Commuter applicants must select Music > Commuter Part-time Option as the First Choice Program.
- Do not select "3-week Option" or "6-week Option" as your program length. Part-time students confirm their preferred program length at a later step.
- Leave the Second Choice Program and Third Choice Program questions blank.
- Music Commuter: Part Time students choose their program length in this final section.
- Current grade options are limited on the application. If the applicant is not yet in 9th grade, please email the music program director to request approval. If approval is granted, select "9th grade" on the application.
- Submit your Household Information.
- Sign, Review and Submit your application.
- Check your email for confirmation and next-steps.
- Once admitted, Part-Time Music students can find more information on this web page.
Areas of Study
- Instrumental Performance
- Vocal Performance
- Music Technology/Electronic Music
- Music Theory
- Dalcroze Eurhythmics
- Solfège (sight-singing)
- Recording Techniques
- Music Technology Lab
- Jazz Improv
- Wind Ensemble
- Concert Choir
- Jazz Ensemble
- Jazz Choir
- Other small & medium ensembles