Carnegie Mellon University

School of Music

Where artistry and innovation share center stage

International Student Information

Non-citizens may attend in one of two ways. Registrants attending as tourists may travel to the United to participate in the workshops, but are not eligilble for university credit or Carnegie Mellon transcripts. International participants attending a workshop for unverisity credit must have the F-1 Student Visa; the deadline to submit application materials to the Carnegie Mellon Office of International Education is May 1st.

Please note:
The U.S. State Department restricts credit-bearing study for visitors using the Visa Waiver Program or B-1/B-2 visa. Any visitor considering traveling to the U.S. in one of those statuses should review the U.S. government’s guidance and carefully consider their plans. International students coming to Carnegie Mellon to enroll in credit-bearing classes who are not U.S. citizens or permanent residents may need to obtain an I-20 Certificate of Eligibility from the Office of International Education (OIE).

  • If you are already in the U.S. in F-1 status and will be returning to your current school next fall, you would not need an I-20 from Carnegie Mellon.
  • If you are already in the U.S. or will be coming to the U.S. as a dependent of a parent/spouse who is working in the U.S., you would not need an I-20 from Carnegie Mellon.
  • If you will be coming to the U.S. from overseas to participate in a credit-bearingprogram and will either return to home or attend a school in the U.S. in the fall, you will need an I-20 and must complete the necessary paperwork to obtain that I-20.
If you need an I-20, please follow these steps:
  • Register for the Dalcroze Workshop and pay the tuition and housing fees.
    • Note: If a student cannot attend because of immigration problems ALL money will be refunded.
  • Complete the International Student Information Form and the Affidavit of Support for Financial Sponsor (if applicable) and submit with the required supporting documents to the email address on the forms.
After receiving the completed International Student Information Form and supporting documents, the Office of International Education will send you the form I-20, which will enable you to apply for the F-1 Student Visa. Please note: It will take OIE a few weeks to process an I-20 after a completed application is received.
Once you have received the I-20, you should:
  • Pay the $200 SEVIS Fee.
  • Follow the instructions for applying for an F-1 visa from a U.S. Embassy/Consulate. You will receive instructions with your I-20 form. Canadian citizens are exempt from the visa requirement, but must still obtain the I-20 form and pay the SEVIS fee.
  • Travel to the U.S. with your valid passport with F-1 visa and your I-20 form. Do not put the I-20 in your suitcase; carry it with you on the airplane.
  • Bring your passport, I-94, and I-20 to the Office of International Education during the first two days of the workshop. This brief immigration check-in is mandatory. An administrator from the Dalcroze Training Center will accompany you to this meeting.

Questions or concerns about the visa application process or immigration regulations should be directed to the Office of International

Note: We would love to have you for the summer, and we encourage attendance by international students. However, all classes are taught in English. There is no guarantee that translation will be available. Many past registrants have come as a group where one member has served as translator.