Finding a Job In The Music Industry
The Career & Professional Development Center (CPDC) on campus provides resources and consultation for all Carnegie Mellon students and alumni. Students can schedule an appointment with AnneMarie DeGeorge, career advisor for the School of Music and the School of Drama, to discuss career paths in the performing arts, get feedback on resumes & bios, or prepare for interviews.
unions And Professional organizations
There are several unions and professional organizations for musicians and other performing artists. Each have their own rules, requirements, and types of artists which they represent.
There have been many wonderful books written to assist a young musician launch a career either in the United States or in Europe.
- Beyond Talent. Beeching, Angela. New York: Oxford University Press, 3rd Edition, 2020.
- The Entrepreneurial Muse: Inspiring Your Career in Classical Music. Nytch, Jeff. Oxford University Press, 2018.
- How to Build a Sustainable Music Career and Collect All Revenue Streams. White, Emily. 9GiantStepsBooks, 2020.
- What The FACH?! The Definitive Guide for Opera Singers Auditioning and Working in Germany, Austria, and Switzerland. Shepard, Philip. What The FACH?! Press. 2010.
Operas, Symphonies, Recording Studios, and More
- Musical America
- Association of Performing Arts Professionals
- Digital Music News
- Music Business Worldwide
- Musical Chairs
- Opera America
- League of American Orchestras