Graduate Admission Timeline
Updated Information June 25, 2021: At this time, CMU has not reopened campus buildings for visitors. Those wishing to visit campus may schedule a self-guided walking tour through the Office of Undergraduate Admission. The School of Music remains closed to guests; you can check this website for an updated information session schedule and view our virtual tour.
Audition and application information will be updated by August 1 and is anticipated to open August 15. We are waiting for the university to update policies surrounding visitors and events before we can finalize what the Fall 2022 application process will look like. When available, it will be updated on this site and time-stamped. Most audition/portfolio requirements do not change from year to year, so the posted information is likely to be accurate for the Fall 2022 application process.
BY DECEMBER 1 (Fall 2021 information)
- Complete the School of Music Online Application. (The School of Music Online Application will ask all applicants for a music resume, repertoire list, and 500-word personal statement.)
- Review and follow the Audition/Portfolio Requirements for your specific program choice and submit your materials by January 4.
- International Students: Submit your highest single-test TOEFL, IELTS, or DuoLingo score by December 1.
- Supporting documents (transcripts, final test scores, and three recommendations) must be received by January 4 for graduate applicants.
- All recordings and portfolios are due no later than January 4. Applicants will be able to upload materials through their Acceptd application.
- Audition/portfolio reviews will take place and students may be invited for callbacks or interviews. Not all applicants will receive a callback, but that does not mean they are not being considered for admission.
- School of Music admission decisions released online through the application system.
- Graduate students must confirm enrollment.