Carnegie Mellon University

School of Music

Where artistry and innovation share center stage

The School of Music is one of five schools that comprise the College of Fine Arts. Teaching and rehearsal spaces are in the College of Fine Arts building and Margaret Morrison Carnegie Hall, as are two performance halls, Kresge Theatre and Alumni Concert Hall. In addition, we routinely utilize two off-campus performance venues - Carnegie Music Hall in Oakland and the Mellon Institute Auditorium.

Facilities

Kresge Theatre
College of Fine Arts

The Kresge Theatre (AKA: Kresge Recital Hall) is host to chamber music concerts, recitals, master classes, and weekly convocations. Kresge Theatre is an ideal recital and chamber music venue, seating 255 and boasting excellent acoustics.

Alumni Concert Hall
College of Fine Arts

The refurbished Alumni Concert Hall serves as the primary venue for large ensemble rehearsals, some recitals, master classes and chamber ensemble rehearsals and performances.

Phillip Chosky Theater
Purnell Center for the Arts

The Phillip Chosky Theater is a 450-seat, state of the art performance venue, located in the Purnell Center. Two opera productions are mounted in the Chosky Theater every year in collaboration with the School of Drama. 

Mellon Institute Auditorium

Mellon Institute Auditorium has 350 seats and is used for recitals, lectures, classes, and small chamber groups.

Carnegie Music Hall
Oakland

The Carnegie Music Hall, a historically important and acoustically and aesthetically exceptional space, is the main public performance venue of the CMU Philharmonic and Wind Ensemble. Seating 1,950 and dating to 1895, it served as the original home of the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra. Carnegie Music Hall is owned and operated by Carnegie Museums of Pittsburgh.

Practice Rooms
College of Fine Arts

Student practice rooms are located on the mezzanine floor of the College of Fine Arts. The south practice room wing was completely renovated in the summer of 2012 and the north practice room wing was completely renovated in the summer of 2016.